From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann
Parsons
Sent: June 16, 2020 5:07 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Edge/Jaws settings questions
Hi all,
Yes, Edge has been updated recently, but brushing somebody off with "His
issue is that he's using a version of jaws older than 2020.",, I'm afraid is
a cop out! That's about as bad as telling someone to RTFM.
If Edge has only recently become useful in Jaws or anything else, and if he
doesn't have the latest and greatest screen reader, preventing him from
accessing The New Edge, then other alternatives need to be found. How about
trying a different browser? How about trying a different screen reader?
Sorry, but Edge is not the be all and end all of browsers. Neither is any
other browser. They are tools, and sometimes they don't work, period!
That's why a smart person uses more than one screen reader and more than one
browser!
I dislike Edge because I don't happen to know its commands well at all, and
even though I have Jaws 2020 and all, I'm not able to make it work
successfully for my needs. So, I use Chrome! I even use IE on occasion.
There are some few web sites that work best in IE. Yes, I know it's legacy,
but if it works, who am I to fix it?
So let's stop being insular around here, eh? Let's open ourselves to the
possibility that something other than Jaws may just be more effective in a
given situation. It works the other way around too. I always proof books
for Bookshare using Jaws. It works the best for this particular task. I
would not use it for outlook because it can't
decide what the Hell line it's reading in the folder summary. So, I
use NVDA or SA. Ya got to be flexible, folks!
Ann P.