Re: having sound issues, communication from creative

Smiling?

I feel for the nonsense you are having to deal with, but here is some ideas from Microsoft shared below. One that caught my attention that would be rather easy for you to try though (which it sounds like you already have), is the fourth step advising you to try a different USB port for the speakers seeing as they worked just fine from your other device, an iPad I believe it was.

Let us know how any of this works or does not.

13 Steps along with the URL posted below.

Fix sound problems in Windows 10 - support.microsoft.com:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4520288/windows-10-fix-sound-problems

1.Check your speaker output
If multiple audio output devices are available, check that you have the appropriate one selected. Here's how:
list of 3 items
1. Select the Speakers  icon on the taskbar.
2. Next, select the arrow  to open a list of audio devices connected to your computer.
3. Check that your audio is playing to the audio device you prefer, such as a speaker or headphones.
list end
If this doesn't help, continue to the next tip.

2. Run the audio troubleshooter
The audio troubleshooter might be able to fix audio problems automatically.
To run the troubleshooter
list of 2 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type audio troubleshooter, select Fix and find problems with playing sound from the results, then select Next.
2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and then continue through the troubleshooter.
choose your device in the audio troubleshooter
list end
You can also launch the troubleshooter from audio Settings. Select Start  > Settings > System  > Sound  > Troubleshoot.If running the troubleshooter
doesn't help, continue to the next tip.

3. Verify that all Windows Updates are installed
To check for updates
list of 4 items
1. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update  > Check for updates.
2. Do one of the following:
list of 2 items nesting level 1
• If the status says "You're up to date, go to the next tip.
• If the status says "Updates are available," select Install now.
list end nesting level 1
3. Select the updates you want to install, then select Install.
4. Restart your PC and see if your sound is working properly.
list end
If that didn't solve your problem, continue to the next tip.

4. Check your cables, plugs, jacks, volume, speaker, and headphone connections
Try these steps
list of 2 items
1. Check your speaker and headphone connections for loose cords or cables. Make sure all cords and cables are plugged in.
2. If you have multiple 5mm jacks to plug into, especially on a surround sound system, make sure all cords and cables are plugged into the correct jack.

list of 1 items nesting level 1
• If it’s not clear which jack goes with which cord, consult your hardware manufacturer, or try the most obvious outputs one at a time and see if they
work.
sound system 5 mm jacks for cables and cords
list end nesting level 1
list end
Note: Some systems use a green jack for output and pink for mic input and others will be labeled "headphone" or "microphone."
Green output and pink input sound system jacks
headphone and microphone sound system jacks
list of 4 items
3. Make sure the power is turned on and check the volume level.
4. Make sure the mute setting is not turned on, and try turning up all the volume controls.
list of 1 items nesting level 1
• Remember some speakers and apps have their own volume controls. Be sure to check them all.
list end nesting level 1
5. Try connecting your speaker and headphones to a different USB port.
6. It's possible that your speakers won't work when your headphones are plugged in. Unplug your headphones and see if that helps.
list end
If your cables and volume are OK, see the next sections for additional troubleshooting.

5. Check sound settings
Check to make sure your audio devices aren't muted and haven't been disabled.
list of 5 items
1. Right-click the Speakers icon  on the taskbar, and then select Open Volume mixer.
2. You’ll see a set of volume controls for your devices. Make sure none of them are muted. If any of them are muted, you’ll see a red circle with a line
through it next to the volume control. In that case, select the volume control to unmute.
Volume mixer with muted volume controls
3. Check your device properties to make sure that your devices have not been disabled by mistake. Select Start  > Settings  > System  > Sound .
4. Select your audio device, and then select Device properties. Be sure to select Device properties for both the output and input devices.
sound output device properties link in sound menu
sound input device properties link in sound menu
5. Make sure the Disable check box is cleared for the output and input devices.
Device properties cleared disable check box
list end
If that didn't solve your problem, continue to the next tip.

6. Fix your audio drivers
Hardware problems can be caused by outdated or malfunctioning drivers. Make sure your audio driver is up to date and update it if needed. If that doesn't
work, try uninstalling the audio driver (it will reinstall automatically). If that doesn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows.
If you're having audio issues after installing updates, try rolling back your audio driver.
To update your audio driver automatically
list of 3 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, such as headphones or speakers, select Update driver, then select Search automatically
for updated driver software. Follow the instructions to complete the update.
Right-click the device listing and select Update driver
search automatically for updated driver software to update audio driver
list end
If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow those instructions. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling
your audio driver.
To uninstall your audio driver
list of 4 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, select Uninstall device, select the Delete the driver software for this device check box,
and then select Uninstall.
Delete the driver software for this device and uninstall
4. Restart your PC.
list of 3 items nesting level 1
• Note: Be sure to save documents and any other current work before you restart.
• This restart will automatically prompt your PC to reinstall your audio driver.
• To restart, select Start  > Power  > Restart .
list end nesting level 1
list end
If those options didn’t work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows.
To use the generic audio driver that comes with Windows
list of 4 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a
list of device drivers on my computer.
4. Select the audio device whose driver you want to update, select Next, and then follow the instructions to install it.
Select the driver and select next to use the generic audio driver
list end
If these steps didn't solve your audio issue, visit your device manufacturer’s website and install the most recent audio/sound drivers for your device.
Following is an example of a driver download page for a sound device manufacturer.
Dell drivers and downloads OEM example
If you have audio issues after installing updates
If your audio was working before you ran Windows Update and now isn’t working, try rolling back your audio driver.
To roll back your audio driver
list of 5 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Properties.
4. Select the Driver tab, then select Roll Back Driver.
Roll back the audio driver in Device Manager
5. Read and follow the instructions and then select Yes if you want to roll back your audio driver.
list end
If rolling back your audio driver didn't work or wasn't an option, you can try to restore your PC from a system restore point.
Restore your PC from a system restore point
When Microsoft installs updates on your system, we create a system restore point in case problems arise. Try restoring from that point and see if that
fixes your sound problems. For more info, see "Restore from a system restore point" in
Recovery options in Windows 10.

7. Set your audio device as the default device
If you're connecting to an audio device—such as headphones or speakers—using USB or HDMI, you might need to set that device as the default audio device.
If you’re using an external monitor that doesn’t have built-in speakers, make sure that the monitor isn’t already selected as your default output device.
if it is, you won’t have any audio. You can check that when you set your default output audio device. Here’s how:
list of 3 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.
2. Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
3. On the Playback tab, right-click the listing for your audio device, select Set as Default Device, and then select OK.
set your audio device as the default device
list end
If setting your audio device as the default device doesn't help, continue to the next tip for additional troubleshooting.

8. Turn off audio enhancements
Sometimes having audio enhancements on can result in audio issues. Disabling them may resolve your issue.
list of 5 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.
2. Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
3. On the Playback tab, right-click the Default Device, and then select Properties.
4. On the Enhancements tab, select either the Disable all enhancements or the Disable all sound effects check box (depending on which option you see),
select OK, and try to play your audio device.
5. If that doesn't work, on the Playback tab, select another default device (if you have one), select either the Disable all enhancements or the Disable
all sound effects check box (depending on which option you see), select OK, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.
disable all enhancements or sound effects
list end
If turning off audio enhancements doesn't help, see the next sections for additional troubleshooting.

9. Restart Audio Services
list of 2 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type services, then select it from the results.
2. Select each of the following services, right-click, and then select Restart:
list of 3 items nesting level 1
• Windows Audio
• Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
restart audio services: Windows Audio, Windows Endpoint Builder, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
list end nesting level 1
list end
If restarting these services doesn’t resolve your issue, see the next sections for more troubleshooting.

10. Try different audio formats
list of 4 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then select it from the results.
2. Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
3. On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) Default Device, and then select Properties.
4. On the Advanced tab, under Default Format, change the setting, select OK, and then test your audio device. If that doesn't work, try changing the setting
again.
Change the audio format setting of your audio device
list end
If trying different audio formats doesn't help, see the next sections for additional troubleshooting.

11. Restart to apply installed updates
Many updates require you to restart your device.
To check and see if you have installed updates pending and need to restart
list of 3 items
1. Save your work and close all open applications.
2. Select Start  > Power . If you have installed updates pending, you’ll see options to Update and restart and Update and shut down.
3. Select one of those restart options to apply the updates
list end
Need help with Windows Update? See
Learn how to Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10.
If restarting doesn't help, see the next section for additional troubleshooting.

12. Check for IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in Device Manager
Some audio problems might be caused by an issue with the audio system’s IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. This can be fixed with a manual driver update
which allows you to choose the sound driver you want to use.
Note
Not all systems will have an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.
To check and see if you have one, and to manually update the driver
list of 4 items
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
3. Look for IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. If it's listed, right-click it and select Update driver, then select Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
4. You’ll see a list of pre-installed drivers. Select High Definition Audio Device, and then select Next.
list end

13. If you have microphone issues, make sure your privacy settings are configured properly
list of 3 items
1. 1. Select Start  > Settings  > Privacy , and then select Microphone from the left menu.
2. Under Allow access to the microphone on this device, select Change. Make sure the toggle is turned On.
3. If you’re having this issue with a specific app, scroll down to Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone and make sure that the
toggle next to that app is turned On as well.
list end