Re: Sounds for Chrome?

Gerald Levy

Well, Ann, maybe the problem is your ISP, which is obviously very slow.  If you had high speed Internet, your files would download almost immediately, and there would be no need to play a sound to indicate that the file has downloaded successfully, because the alert message from Chrome itself would be sufficient.  For instace, I have Spectrum high speed Internet, which the company falsely claims is 200 mbps, but under real world conditions actually measures only about 120 mbps.  Nevertheless, this is still fast enough to download a 20 hour BARD book in less than ten seconds.  That's ten seconds, not ten minutes.  So the alert message from Chrome that the download has completed is sufficient, and no other sound effect is necessary.  Of course, if high speed Internet is not available where you live upstate in Rochester, then that's a different story, and you might want to download the Notify extension for Chrome to indicate that a file has downloaded successfully.  .

Gerald

On 6/25/2020 8:26 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Good morning all,

I beg to differ, Gene.  I don't mind *where* the thing downloads its files.  I know where that is, and I can easily get to it when I want to do that.  What I strongly object to is clicking on a download link and having the browser sit there, silently, no progress bar, no alert tone, nothing!  I downloaded a file seven times last night, seven times, God bless it, all because I didn't know Chrome was downloading the blessed file.  It's like people who come along and do something for you or move something or clean something and never say a word.  It aggravates me to distraction! I want to *know* if Chrome is downloading something!  I want to know when it's done doing so!

I can find 'downloads' in This PC perfectly well.  I can also move the downloaded file if I want to do so.  File location wasn't the problem at all.

Ann P.