Re: Need Help with Thunderbird

Evan Reese

Thanks Sam, this is all very clear.

really appreciate your help, and this list in general.

Evan

On 7/6/2020 11:59 AM, Sameer wrote:

Hi, Evan,

You need not pay to transfer your contacts from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird.

1. Export the contacts from Windows Live Mail in .csv format.

2. In Thunderbird, go to Tools & within Tools, go to Address Book

3. In the Address Book tab, go to Tools & select Import.

4. On the first Import screen, select Address Book & go to the next screen.

5. On the second screen, select Text as the option. In the types of files covered in this option, it mentions csv files also.

6. Follow the prompts to complete the import process.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 06-07-2020 08:18 pm, Evan Reese wrote:

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I have another question.

I want to import my Contacts from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

If I'm not mistaken, when I click the link to this add-on, called

MoreFunctionsForAddressBook

I have to pay for it. There's a PayPal button at the top of the page.

Do I really have to pay for an add-on to get my Contacts into Thunderbird?

I hope you'll tell me it ain't so! <smile>

It isn't as though I want everything for free, but importing Contacts from one email to another seems like it should be a part of the email program already.

Thanks much.

Evan

On 7/5/2020 6:37 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

Hi Evan,

Thunderbird updates itself, and you are running the same version as I am, which is the latest.

You may not have downloaded the latest version of the add-on. The add-on below is from the official Thunderbird addons repository and claims it will work with versions between 60x and 70x:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/

Good luck

Sam

On 6/07/2020 7:49 am, Evan Reese wrote:
Hey Guys,

I had some major problems with the unsupported Windows Live Mail, so I dumped it and got Thunderbird.

I've gotten it working pretty well so far, but I am having some issues with it.

The main one is that I cannot import my messages from Windows Live Mail.

I found some instructions, but they do not seem to apply to my version of Thunderbird.

I was told to export the WLM messages in .eml format, which I did.

Then create a new folder in my Thunderbird Local Folders section and then select it, which I also did.

Then, I was told to right click on that folder and find Import Export Tools. But that option isn't in my Context menu.

So I went out to Google and found an add-on called Import Export Tools and downloaded it.

I couldn't figure out where to put it, and the page where the file was located didn't tell me, so I once again went to Google and looked up how to install an add-on from a file. I followed the instructions and was told that the add-on was incompatible with my version of Thunderbird, version 68.10.1. Apparently, there are newer versions of Thunderbird. I wasn't aware that I was getting an older version when I got it a couple weeks ago.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, which I hope to replace in the not too distant future, but I'd like to get my old WLM messages imported before then.

A related problem is that I do not see any way to update Thunderbird in any of the menus.

So you can see, I need a bit of help. <smile>

I'm not sure how old this program is, so perhaps it's not quite ready for prime time yet. Surely, importing messages from other email clients is a pretty basic function that I shouldn't need an add-on to get, shouldn't it?

Oh, I did try to import from the Tools menu, but that didn't work. I only get two choices in there, Becky and Outlook. Neither one of those works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Much thanks.

Evan