Re: NVDA Settings

Gene

You can run it from anywhere your computer has access to the files. You can have it on an external drive or on your internal hard drive, or Dropbox, as examples.

From: Marie
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 10:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA Settings

Is it okay to run the portable version from Drop box or does it have to
be on a thumb drive?

On 7/12/2020 6:43 PM, Gene wrote:
If you want to preserve your settings and adde-ons in a new installation, the usual way to do this is to make a portable version of NVDA from the installed version you are running, and then run the portable version on the machine you want to install it on, and use that running version to install NVDA from the portable version. These operations, creating a portable version and installing from the portable version can be done using the tools submenu in NVDA.

If the installed version makes changes to the registry, and I know that if you want it to run at bootup, that is done by a registry entry, your method doesn't do this.

It is generally not a good idea when installing a nonportable version of a program, to just copy files. A lot of the time, programs you place on a computer won't work properly and perhaps not at all.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Mike B
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Marie,

Since I run the same version of NVDA on all my computers whether Windows 7 or 10, what I do is copy the NVDA folder with all its subfolders to Dropbox or a flashdrive from the following path:

C:\Users \ User Name \ AppData \ Roaming \ nvda

I then paste it into the same path of another computer overwrighting all existing NVDA files and folders. I now have that version set-up the same way as the other.

Others may say not to do it this way, but I have yet to incurr a single problem doing this way for about 4 years now. Just make sure you're running the same version of NVDA on all computers you do this with. I've even sent my NVDA folder to a friend on the east coast and he pasted into his computer with no issues.

----- Original Message ----- From: Marie