Re: Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Mike B

The compress file or Zip file option doesn't show in the list after I click on, New, from the context menu.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Step 1: Log into the PC as an Administrator
Step 2: Access the C drive's properties
Step 3: Change the Security settings
Click on 'Security' tab; click 'Edit'. To change the permissions; highlight the particular user/group and tick the box for 'Full Control'; click 'Apply'.
Windows will show a security warning confirming that this may adversely affect your PC (or words to that effect). Click 'OK' to continue.
The PC will run through the folders in C:\ and show if any have been unable to be updated.
Once the PC has completed pushing the new security settings to the user/group you can test this by accessing the root folder, right-click and highlight 'New'. You should have the standard list of file types to save to the root.

On 15/07/2020 11:41 am, Mike B wrote:
Hi Sam,

Yes I am, but I've been doing this for years.  I take ownership of various folders so they can be accessed for various reasons and I've never had a problem, until recently.  I can compress files on my data drive, a secondary drive on my computer, but nowhere on my operating system drive can I compress a file.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Hi Mike,

I take it you aren't trying to compress a folder that is on the root of the C drive? Windows 7 and above prohibit this.

On 15/07/2020 11:19 am, Mike B wrote:
Hi All,

On my Windows 7 Pro system I started getting the following message whenever I try to compress a file with the Windows default compression tool from the context menu.

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
Unable to complete the operation.
Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?!  I've searched for a solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm attempting to compress.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.