Re: Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Mike B

I guess I've been leaning towards a permission problem because of what info I get from searches say about the message I get whenever I try to zip a file.  But like you stated, I wouldn't be able to delete or access certain areas or files if it's a permission problem and that's led me to believe it could be a problem with the utility itself.  As for reinstalling Windows, I haven't done a fresh reinstall in many years and it's been a lingering thought for many months, nothing more nothing less.

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Compress Zip Folder Error Message

I don't think this is a permission problem.  You said in a later message
that you can compress files using 7zip.  The same permission problem should
have forbidden it.

Also, if you can still add and delete files, I see no permission problem
with compressing them.  And when you compress a file, you aren't changing
the original.  It makes no sense that you can work with files in general but
that the compression of a file would present a permission problem.

This is an example of being skeptical if something doesn't make logical
sense. Don't assume that a computer is smarter than you are.  If something
contradicts itself, skepticism is in order.  I don't know what the problem
is but I wonder if there is something corrupted in the zip utility itself.

Why do you want to reinstall Windows?