Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene. I wish there was a way to keep that from even happening when the page first loads but at least I have some work-arounds now between copying and pasting the page into notepad or pausing.

Troy

On 7/18/2020 4:40 PM, Gene wrote:
Here is a correction.  It is a player and the timer forces speech whether you have sound on or not.  So don't follow the instructions just as I gave them.
Instead of searching for sound, search from the top of the page for pause.
Once on pause, press the space bar.  That stops play and the timer stops. You can then use the page as usual.

I pressed the space bar on the sound item and I did start to hear audio.  It may be set not to play at first, but if so, its muted and the timer still runs because the player is playing even though the sound is muted.  But as I said, finding pause and pressing the space bar pauses play and stops the timer.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Here is another solution.  It works well.

I didn't think this was a player but it may be.  If it is, I think the
seconds display is a live region that forces speech.  I don't know what
accounts for the numbers going up and then down again.  Also, I hear no
sound.

Once you load the page, search from the top for the word sound. You will be
on something that says sound off.  Press the space bar on it,, I'd have to
check again but I think it’s a button.  Whatever it is, if you press the
space bar, the seconds timer stops and you can use the page as you usually
would.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't
a player.  Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and
also, this isn't an ongoing count up.  It goes up and then it goes back to
lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read.  You can, I
believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v.  If you can't find it, let
us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it
all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page,
then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy