Re: Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Steve Matzura

The Dropbox Web page says I now have three copies, but the only one I can find is the one I manually downloaded, then placed in a folder. I tried the shell directory trick, but it's not there. Where else could Dropbox think it put it? This is totally mystifying to me that I can't figure this out.

On 7/22/2020 7:36 PM, Thom Spittle wrote:
When you save files to your dropbox in this manner, they are saved to the root directory. So they are not in a folder. As you open dropbox they will be near the bottom of your list. I hope this helps you
On Jul 22, 2020, at 7:03 PM, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

´╗┐Someone shared a file with me. I clicked the link to acces the file. One of the options was a download menu button. When I opened the menu, "Save to my Dropbox" was one of the choices, so I chose that option. Of course, I had to log in to my own Dropbox, which I successfully did. The file was saved. I know it was, because when I did it again, it saved a second copy with a numeric addition to the filename. But I can't find any of them anywhere. I suspect this may also be a Windows Search problem, probably not searching subdirectories as it should, because I can think of no other reason why this file is unfindable. If I look at recently added files on the Dropbox Website, the file is there--in fact, they all are--but nowhere am I told in what folder those files are stored. This is the problemk, long-winded version.

On 7/20/2020 12:01 PM, Mike B wrote:
´╗┐
In what fashion was it shared? Did they send you a download link? Do you have a shared folder?

Take care. Mike.