Since folder and Registry entries don't know or care that each other exist, removing the folders will just clear up space on your system disk and probably remove some shortcuts. If you have any shortcuts remaining on the Windows Desktop or Start menu, they of course will fail when executed, so they, too, should be removed, if for no other reason than to keep you from tripping over them on your way to other things.

If the removed program had file asociations, they will still be in effect, so if you were to press ENTER (double-click) on one, Windows will attempt to launch the program asociated with that filetype, resulting in the obvious error that the program can't be found any more.

The above tasks are what uninstallers do--clean all this up for you--files, shortcuts (which are also files), Registry entries, the works. The good thing is, because processors and memory are fast and cheap, big fat Registries with lots of things in them that one doesn't need are no real hindrance to system performance. True, they take up space in memory and take longer to load from disk when the system boots, but we're talking about a few kilobytes here and there, and a handful of milliseconds in startup time--totally negligible amounts of time and space in the grand scheem of things. So, while it's mesy to jut delete directories, it'll surely get that program off your computer.

On 7/24/2020 1:02 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi Gene,

I was thinking the same thing, it's not causing any problems so I figured if the advice I was given didn't seem like a good idea I'd just give up. Somebody not on the list even told me to just delete everything associated with the program by removing the folders but I was afraid that that might mess up the registry so I didn't do it.

Troy

On 7/23/2020 10:37 PM, Gene wrote:
There may be, but is the program causing any problem or does it just sit there and do nothing? Sometimes, its better to just leave things alone.  We don't know if this program is well designed or if it uninstalls properly in general.  Sometimes, a poorly designed program takes something with it when you uninstall it that you need.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] need help uninstalling a program

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy