Re: 3d printing

Quentin Christensen

I found a couple of models of things like dice and signature guides on  https://www.thingiverse.com/ but I thought there would be more of a community somewhere.  Maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet, but the response I've got to this message and on twitter etc, indicates that if there is, it mustn't be widely known about...

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:02 PM Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:

When 3D printing was having its moment and really coming into the mainstream a few years ago, I really thought there’d be more enthusiasm for it in the blind community. Imagine all the possibilities. 3D printed maps accurately depicting mountain ranges and terrain. All sorts of objects. I for one whenever I travel, make it a point to snatch up all the cheesy miniatures of all the landmarks I visit, but imagine all the structures and layouts for recreation education and mobility you can think of printing to get a better idea of how things and places are shaped. Alas, cant’ say I know of too many places or companies that delved into this.

It could just be me too. Maybe I’m just not aware of it. I for one wouldn’t mind getting my hands on some of these things.

Cristóbal

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:44 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 3d printing

Thanks Sharon!

I figure there are things I can think of - such as guides, small tactile objects and so on, but I'm sure there are plenty more things I haven't even thought of, and others interested in the same thing (either people who are blind or have low vision, family members or people in the industry for their clients).

Quentin.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:31 PM Sharon Hooley <shooley42@...> wrote:

There was a zoom meeting on Open Scad coding, but I didn't see an invitation.  It was with the National Federation of the Blind.  I'll ask your question on their crafters list.

Hi everyone,

This is a personal question, I'm considering getting a 3d printer, and was wondering whether there were any resources available on using these as accessibility tools? For instance, I have found 3d files to print tactile dice or signature guides with them, and was interested in exploring what else can be done in that regard. Are there any mailing lists, web pages, facebook groups etc dedicated to this aspect of 3d printing that anyone is aware of please?

Bonus points of course, for something which works with NVDA :)

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen