Re: 3d printing

Monte Single

A few years ago there was some buzz about a boy who was building a braille embosser  with lego parts;  I thing he even got some funding from m s.

Another great idea that has not materialized.

I know I wondering off topic.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: August 9, 2020 9:02 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 3d printing

I don't have an answer Heather, but I wonder if there are at least several factors involved:

1) Complexity: A Braille display has a lot of moving parts - each Braille cell needs six (often 8) moving individual pins, plus the frame, plus whatever holds them plus the circuitry to run it.  So even a 14 cell Braille display would need 112 pieces printed individually just for the pins.  You could probably setup and print a "Sheet" of them that you then snap off, much like the little plastic pieces you get in a model kit, but even so, putting them together is going to be fiddly.

Assuming you overcome that, you also need someone to make those models in the first place.  For many companies, by the time they have invested the R&D into that, they're probably going to think it is more worth their while simply employing a factory to make the units, and sell them with such a markup that they recoup their costs.  If they distributed 3D files for you to print yourself, A) they'd need to sell a lot to cover the cost, b) Who would be responsible for faults? and c) Unless they made them very cheap (see point a)) they'd likely find the files were readily pirated and shared between people, with no revenue then going back to them.

That's all pure speculation off the top of my head, I really haven't looked into it.  I expect the complexity would be a big issue.  A 3d Printed Braille stylus I expect wouldn't be that hard to make (if someone hasn't already) as would be something like a signature guide. But many of the 3d models I've seen, particularly at the consumer end of the scale, tend to be things which can be printed in one or at least a small number of pieces.

But I am definitely surprised there doesn't seem to be more out there.

Actually just looking, here is an article from 2016 on a 3d printed refreshable Braille display which aimed to be a low cost device: https://www.3ders.org/articles/20160508-low-cost-3d-printed-braille-reader-aims-to-increase-literacy-rates-for-the-blind.html

There might be more out there!

Quentin.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 2:57 AM heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

I was thinking now, we can just 3d print our parts  to make our braille displays so they would be cheaper; the embossers would be cheaper; electric braille labeler makers would be cheaper etc. It has not happened this way, wonder why? So is the cost of 3d printing off set the cost of making these items or has 3d printing not cost effective enough to make these items? I read about people being able to 3d print houses which is much larger than say a braille display or embosser so, why are makers of blindness products not taking advantage of this technology?

CHeers Heather

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 1:05 AM

I found a couple of models of things like dice and signature guides on  https://www.thingiverse.com/ but I thought there would be more of a community somewhere.  Maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet, but the response I've got to this message and on twitter etc, indicates that if there is, it mustn't be widely known about...

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:02 PM Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:

When 3D printing was having its moment and really coming into the mainstream a few years ago, I really thought there’d be more enthusiasm for it in the blind community. Imagine all the possibilities. 3D printed maps accurately depicting mountain ranges and terrain. All sorts of objects. I for one whenever I travel, make it a point to snatch up all the cheesy miniatures of all the landmarks I visit, but imagine all the structures and layouts for recreation education and mobility you can think of printing to get a better idea of how things and places are shaped. Alas, cant’ say I know of too many places or companies that delved into this.

It could just be me too. Maybe I’m just not aware of it. I for one wouldn’t mind getting my hands on some of these things.

Cristóbal

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:44 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Thanks Sharon!

I figure there are things I can think of - such as guides, small tactile objects and so on, but I'm sure there are plenty more things I haven't even thought of, and others interested in the same thing (either people who are blind or have low vision, family members or people in the industry for their clients).

Quentin.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:31 PM Sharon Hooley <shooley42@...> wrote:

There was a zoom meeting on Open Scad coding, but I didn't see an invitation.  It was with the National Federation of the Blind.  I'll ask your question on their crafters list.

On 8/5/2020 1:30 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is a personal question, I'm considering getting a 3d printer, and was wondering whether there were any resources available on using these as accessibility tools? For instance, I have found 3d files to print tactile dice or signature guides with them, and was interested in exploring what else can be done in that regard. Are there any mailing lists, web pages, facebook groups etc dedicated to this aspect of 3d printing that anyone is aware of please?  

Bonus points of course, for something which works with NVDA :)

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.