From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: August 9, 2020 9:02 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 3d printing

I don't have an answer Heather, but I wonder if there are at least several factors involved:

1) Complexity: A Braille display has a lot of moving parts - each Braille cell needs six (often 8) moving individual pins, plus the frame, plus whatever holds them plus the circuitry to run it.  So even a 14 cell Braille display would need 112 pieces printed individually just for the pins.  You could probably setup and print a "Sheet" of them that you then snap off, much like the little plastic pieces you get in a model kit, but even so, putting them together is going to be fiddly.

Assuming you overcome that, you also need someone to make those models in the first place.  For many companies, by the time they have invested the R&D into that, they're probably going to think it is more worth their while simply employing a factory to make the units, and sell them with such a markup that they recoup their costs.  If they distributed 3D files for you to print yourself, A) they'd need to sell a lot to cover the cost, b) Who would be responsible for faults? and c) Unless they made them very cheap (see point a)) they'd likely find the files were readily pirated and shared between people, with no revenue then going back to them.

That's all pure speculation off the top of my head, I really haven't looked into it.  I expect the complexity would be a big issue.  A 3d Printed Braille stylus I expect wouldn't be that hard to make (if someone hasn't already) as would be something like a signature guide. But many of the 3d models I've seen, particularly at the consumer end of the scale, tend to be things which can be printed in one or at least a small number of pieces.

But I am definitely surprised there doesn't seem to be more out there.

Actually just looking, here is an article from 2016 on a 3d printed refreshable Braille display which aimed to be a low cost device: https://www.3ders.org/articles/20160508-low-cost-3d-printed-braille-reader-aims-to-increase-literacy-rates-for-the-blind.html

There might be more out there!

Quentin.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 2:57 AM heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

I was thinking now, we can just 3d print our parts  to make our braille displays so they would be cheaper; the embossers would be cheaper; electric braille labeler makers would be cheaper etc. It has not happened this way, wonder why? So is the cost of 3d printing off set the cost of making these items or has 3d printing not cost effective enough to make these items? I read about people being able to 3d print houses which is much larger than say a braille display or embosser so, why are makers of blindness products not taking advantage of this technology?

CHeers Heather