Re: closing laptop's lid while using?

lynn white

I've done that before. But generally, I shut it down first. But these days, if you close the lid it will shut down and you restart it when raising the lid or hit the button to restart.

On 8/10/2020 3:23 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I use a USB keyboard with my laptop and somebody who also uses a USB keyboard told me the other day that they keep the lid closed even when they're using it. I just wonder if that's advisable though because I remember once I let my mom use my laptop, and she just closed the lid without shutting it down first and when I found out and went back several hours later the whole machine was so hot that I could barely touch it.

That was several years ago now, but between that and leaving a desktop computer on for a few days in a row many years ago and the motherboard ended up burning up I don't want to take any chances, but if there is some way that I can keep my laptop lid closed when I'm using it and the heat won't damage it I might do that.

Oh, I don't run my laptop 24/7 but it is on all day long most days.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Troy