Gene,

That's why I asked before I tried it, I have no idea why the person who told me they do this does it.

Troy

On 8/10/2020 3:36 PM, Gene wrote:
For one thing, a sighted persohn wouldn't close the lid.  That is a hint that laptops aren't designed to operate in that way.  How hot a computer gets depends on the computer and I don't know if one can generalize.  But wwhy do anything that causes extra heat to build up that might be too much. Also, I don't know what the default action is, but laptops generally are set at the factory to shut down or sleepp or in some way stop or suspend working when the lid is closed.  You can change the close the lid setting to do nothing, in which case the computer will still run but again, I think the setting that by default in some way stops operation is a hint that it is not a good idea to let a computer run with the lid down.  And why did the person want to do so in the first place?  I see no benefit.  Just because someone may think its cool to do something because its appealing doesn't mean it is.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] closing laptop's lid while using?

Hi all,

I use a USB keyboard with my laptop and somebody who also uses a USB
keyboard told me the other day that they keep the lid closed even when
they're using it. I just wonder if that's advisable though because I
remember once I let my mom use my laptop, and she just closed the lid
without shutting it down first and when I found out and went back
several hours later the whole machine was so hot that I could barely
touch it.

That was several years ago now, but between that and leaving a desktop
computer on for a few days in a row many years ago and the motherboard
ended up burning up I don't want to take any chances, but if there is
some way that I can keep my laptop lid closed when I'm using it and the
heat won't damage it I might do that.

Oh, I don't run my laptop 24/7 but it is on all day long most days.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Troy