Re: power setting question

Madison Martin

I don't remember how long I held it for, until it worked is all I can tell you.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: August 10, 2020 5:41 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] power setting question

How long did you hold the button before you had a hard shutdown on your old
computer? I've never heard of being able to disable this feature. What I've
seen that can be changed is what happens when you press and release the power
button for a moment. I don't know if there is a standard default setting but
mine is set to shut down. Often, if I can't shut down using the keyboard for
some reason, pressing and releasing the [power button will shut down the
machine. A hard shut down should only be done when other methods fail. I
always try a momentary press of the power button first and wait to see if a shut
down occurs. I have to hold the power button down perhaps ten seconds for a
hard shut down to occur.

I don't use Windows 10 and while I might be able to tell you where to find power
settings, I'd be guessing based on Windows 7. But if you know how to use the
start menu search, try using it and searching for power settings if you want to
look for them before you receive specific instructions. The start menu search
is invaluable for finding things quickly and easily.