Re: How do u clone a laptop's hard drive?

Geoff Eden

Good afternoon, the easiest way to do this to secure all of the personal settings you have for your computer is to create an image of your hard drive on another drive, which will give you the capability of bringing your machine back to the moment you created the image.

To begin with, determine what you really need to keep for a restoration. If you have copies of music, emails, or text that you have already put away, then you can remove them from your drive before starting in order to keep the image within manageable limits. This is only necessary if space is an issue.

When you've accomplished your housecleaning, check to see how much space is being used. Then look at your external drives to determine where you have sufficient space to store your image.

To begin, tap your Windows key and type in the word "restore". This will open up your restore utility. Press the tab several times until you see create an image of this computer. Press the enter key to select this item, and after a short time, the next tab will show you an option of which drive you may select. This only occurs if you have other drives plugged in at the moment.

Finally, launch the process, and give yourself a few hours to do something else. You can use the computer while this is happening, but I suggest it may be risky. I do mine overnight.

The computer will inform you when it's finished, and offer you the opportunity to create a startup disk. You must select this option and be ready with a blank CD, DVD, or memory stick to record this special boot material. It is altogether likely, that if your computer has a CD/DVD drive, your BIOS has been set to see it first in the boot sequence. If your computer has no media drive, that it is altogether likely that your BIOS will see a device such as a memory stick or a remote CD drive as first in the boot sequence.

Now, when it comes time to restore from that image, start your computer with the CD – memory stick ready to go. Give your system a minute or two to sort itself out, which it will do without speech. Generally, hitting the enter key a couple of times will launch the restore. If not you may need someone to take a peek at the screen.

Just for your information, there is a circulation of Windows PE that can come up talking and will give you control of the image restoration. Probably far more complexity than that for which you are prepared.

I hope this is helpful, and that if anyone sees I've missed something, please jump in.

Geoff