Re: number of people acceptable to keep everyone unmuted during a meeting?

Gene

Is the raise hand option available?

From: joseph hudson
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 1:30 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] number of people acceptable to keep everyone unmuted during a meeting?

Hi Jean, yes I host Kim connect without video. I have actually been known to turn off my video at some times while being connected to a meeting. Especially if I didn't know if anybody was going to come in the room and I could go around the room and do other things that she'll not be mentioned on this list.D
joseph hudson

Email FaceTime and iMessage
jhud7789@twc.com

Office phone/what's up messenger

254-300-7667

Emergency sell

254-813-2461

https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

On Aug 24, 2020, at 1:27 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

If you mean that the host has to have his video on, that mayn be. But it isn't clear what you meanor what you were told. The command is available to phone users so if what you were told means anything, it must mean that the host must be connected visually. I don't know if hosts can connect without using a visual connection but I would think it would be rare, if it can be done.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 1:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I'm told the raise the hand thing only works on something that's video.
Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 1:06 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] number of people acceptable to keep everyone unmuted
during a meeting?

We don't know why. As I said, what sense does it make for a company to
design a system where phone users are at a disadvantage? There are,
doubtless, a lot of people who join meetings by phone for various reasons.

Also, there is a raise the hand command that you can do by phone. It is my
understanding that if a host mutes the whole room, you can unmute yourself
and talk. However, perhaps there is a way that the host can mute everyone
where he has to recognize anyone who wishes to speak, requiring that a hand
be raised.

Perhaps we will get more information.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 11:48 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

There is an unmute because it works when you mute yourself. There have been
people who have tried to unmute them selves, and finally, they either called
back or got unmuted and said they were trying to get heard, and we didn't
hear them for minutes and minutes. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 11:52 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

I don't know anything about how much the person knows or how reliable he is
in what he says about technical matters. Also, if someone tells me
something that is likely to be illogical, I'm skeptical. In this case, what
you were told appears to be illogical. Why would there be an unmute command
if you can't unmute yourself? It might be objected that the command only
works by phone if you mute yourself but that would be a completely illogical
design. Of course, somethimes a program is illogically designed but that
isn't the usual case.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 10:35 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

The command is star 6. But when I was in the class on Friday, the guy said
he didn't want to mute everybody, because if he did that, we couldn't unmute
ourselves. So, he kept saying that somebody was making noise and that
person should mute themselves. Star 6 is a toggle. I had never before
heard that if the head person mutes everybody, only that person can unmute
people, so that was a surprise to me. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

There is a specifric command for ;phone users to unmute themselves. And I
think they can do so, just as they can with a computer. I don't know that
because I haven't specifically searched for answers to the question but that
is by far the likely state of things. Why would the designers place phone
users at a disadvantage?

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 9:56 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

That's if you are using a computer. The calls I have made are on the phone,
and what we use, which is google meet, it seems that if the person in charge
mutes everybody, that person is the only one who can unmute somebody. At
least, that's what he told us. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 11:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

I'm not sure what would happen if too many people tried to talk at once.
The best thing to do might be to mute everyone, you can do that as the host,
then have people unmute themselves to talk and mute themselves after they
do. I haven't used this feature, but pressing and holding the space bar is
supposed to unmute someone when they are muted and then releasing it would
mute them again. So people shouldn't have to keep unmuting and muting
themselves, just press the space bar to talk.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sharon Hooley
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 8:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
during a meeting?

Hi,

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com