From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 9:34 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Talking about quoting threads in the blindness community

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:24 AM, Laz wrote:
it should be noted that Brian is fully sighted and does things as a sighted person does-
Indeed I am and do. I've never made a secret of the fact I'm fully sighted.

That doesn't make any of the rest of your message have the slightest bit of validity. I've been working with blind individuals for many, many years now, and am acutely aware of "how things work." But the fact is that "how things work" in any community often need to be changed, at least somewhat.

The obsession with only top-posting, and never including any reference material before starting one's own content, is one of those things. I hear, and frequently, "We/I want to be treated just like anyone else." Well, I'm not going to back down on my earlier assertion that this particular style of "quote response quote response" has been the norm in most email I've dealt with since the 1980s when one cannot simply presume that the reader will know exactly who and/or what is being replied to at the outset. It's long past time that the complaints about this cease, period. It's done, it's done commonly, you (any you) need to know how to deal with it. And most sighted people would not bother with including a hyphen, as I do, because they'd have no reason to believe it is necessary.

I do conform myself to the customs of any community in which I participate when possible and when those customs do not interfere with effective communication. If I had not left the tiny bit of context at the outset to which I was replying, this message would have been much less clear. It's that simply, so I'm not going to even try to please those that want me to write in a manner I know to be less clear, not more so.