locked Re: Talking about quoting threads in the blindness community

Laz

Great message! Actually some people send totally disrelated messages
byjust changing thesubject line instead of just sending a new message
to a list. Sometimes they remove any traces of the original message,
sometimes they don't. This is not the normal way of sending a new
message to a list however. To send a new message to a list one sends a
new message to the list email address.

Changing a subject line may not remove it from the message thread it
is part of as if one were to send an entirely new message. I don't
know this for a fact but I believe there's something in the message
headers that keeps it associated with the original subject in the
message thread.

Stay well,

Laz

On 8/27/20, Howard Traxler <htraxler7@gmail.com> wrote:
Just a simple question: When replying to a message, changing the
subject line; seems like some list owners call this "high jacking"? They
tell us to start a new message thread. Maybe I'm thinking of something
entirely different, huh?

Howard

On 8/27/2020 12:37 AM, Gene wrote:
No, Carlos never strictly enforced that rule. I remember a message
where he said it would be a good thing if people change subject lines
if the discussion changes in a thread but that it is so common that
this isn't done that he wouldn't stricgtlhy enforce it. He even said
that he is guilty of not changing subject lines himself.

I believe he would change a subject line off and on. he may have
reminded list members that it would be a good thing if they did but as
I said, he never made much of an issue about it.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: joseph hudson
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Talking about quoting threads in the blindness
community

Hi Brian, I'm fully aware of the functionality of groups.io. That's
not the point. I was interested in the discussion at hand. And I know
one of Carlos's rules was to keep subject lines on topic especially
whenever I came to the tech talk group.
joseph hudson

Email FaceTime and iMessage
jhud7789@twc.com

Office phone/what's up messenger

254-300-7667

Emergency sell

254-813-2461

https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

On Aug 26, 2020, at 11:58 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

Let's not forget that at the bottom of each and every message that
arrives from Groups.io, whether individual messages or in digests, is
the Mute this topic link. If a topic is no longer of interest, which
can happen, that's what it's there for.

Anyone can also set up topic preview for any Groups.io group, if
they're willing to log in to their Groups.io account to do so.
Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io
(docx). This can be very, very handy on high-traffic groups where
it's a select few topics that you really have an interest in.

Those using any service owe it to themselves to become familiar with
the features offered, and Groups.io gives individual users a far
greater degree of control than many.

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they
rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121