Re: respecting leaving computers on, or not

most of the service calls are on monday as people put off their
computer on friday and go to start on monday and it doesnt work.
an idel computer only sips power.
you can turn off your display but keep the cpu on.
if you dont believe how much power a idel computer takes then get this
device from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kilowat&qid=1598545665&sr=8-1
connect it to the wall and plug in your computer and let it sit idel.

Geoff,

I don't think that most of us think of LEDs as "light bulbs" in the
conventional sense, and you're 100% correct on the difference between them
and incandescents, which is what was being referred to at the time that
quotation was written.  True LED bulbs are a very recent thing as far as
consumer lighting in traditional screw-in bulb form goes.

Until and unless computers are all using SSDs, the biggest stress on HDDs is
generally at boot time.  So computers do tend to "pop" when turned off and
on far more often than when in continuous use.  Unfortunately, I still see
that all the time.   Almost all of my service calls for dead machines are
secondary to either power supply failure or HDD failure that comes when the
owner tries to power up their machine.  There's no way of knowing whether
the failure occurred during the previous power down, or the actual power up,
but it's one of the two.

The issue of power savings is a thing of its own, and does deserve
consideration.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.