For example the drbd group was almost completely made up of system admins that are responsible for running multiple large data centers. In other words geeks, lol.

In circles like this quoteing posts in responses is very common.

Thanks.

On 8/27/2020 10:33 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
What are developer groups?  Pam.

From: Norman
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 5:44 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] number of people acceptable to keep everyone unmuted during a meeting?

I have to agree with brian here.

Quoting the message that you're responding to above your response is a fairly common practice, especially in developer groups. I used to be on a list for drbd, which is a data syncronization program and well over 80 percent of the messages on that list were written in such a manner.

Personally i've not started doing that as a general practice, but the wining on this subject has made me think about starting to do so.

On 8/26/2020 11:18 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:06 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
In a normal email, if the person answers the person’s questions, you can see what they are responding to under the response.
-
No.  In a typical "blind-style" email, perhaps, but I can assure you that most of the world does "quote, response, quote, response, quote, response" not "response, quote, response, quote, response, quote," when complex exchanges are involved.

Even I don't quote at the top when it would be immediately obvious to most readers in a topic what I was responding to.  This message is another case where there have been multiple responses, by multiple members, prior to this offering by me.

This entire message would be far harder to decipher were the assertion I'm saying is incorrect were to be at the bottom.  I would, in fact, for most readers, be entirely backward.

I also found out that NVDA (and, by extension, I'd be willing to presume most screen readers) can handle block quotes in e-mail messages with a built-in single letter navigation command, and a complementary single character (but not letter) built-in command to jump out of a block quote to the next/previous batch of unquoted material.  Anyone who wants to read about that can see the topic on the NVDA Group:
Access regarding email with quotations and screen readers, NVDA, in this case