Re: respecting leaving computers on, or not

Gene

If you leave a system on, you should restart it now and then. If you don't, performance problems will start to occur and maybe program crashes. I can't tell you how often to restart. You can determine that from experience with your specific computer, I would think most people would start to have problems within five or seven days or maybe less. It may be a good idea, even if you don't have problems for five or seven days, to restart after that time just to keep from having problems later. Its inconvenient and at times important not to have problems, depending on what you are doing.

From: Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] respecting leaving computers on, or not

Hi There!

I generally leave my system on 24/7 and the only time it gets a restart is when I receive an update. Of course when there is nasty weather on top of us I will turn it off temporarily. The only thing I generally turn off on a regular basis is my monitor which is a new solid state monitor and probably uses very little current. I have had my 1 TB HD for about a year and a half now at it appears to be functioning very well! Just my 2-sense worth! Catch Ya Later!

de

mailto:wohlggie@gmail.com<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 27-Aug-20 12:28, Austin Pinto wrote:
most of the service calls are on monday as people put off their computer on friday and go to start on monday and it doesnt work. an idel computer only sips power. you can turn off your display but keep the cpu on. if you dont believe how much power a idel computer takes then get this device from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kilowat&qid=1598545665&sr=8-1 connect it to the wall and plug in your computer and let it sit idel. On 8/27/20, Brian Vogel mailto:britechguy@gmail.com wrote: Geoff, I don't think that most of us think of LEDs as "light bulbs" in the conventional sense, and you're 100% correct on the difference between them and incandescents, which is what was being referred to at the time that quotation was written. True LED bulbs are a very recent thing as far as consumer lighting in traditional screw-in bulb form goes. Until and unless computers are all using SSDs, the biggest stress on HDDs is generally at boot time. So computers do tend to "pop" when turned off and on far more often than when in continuous use. Unfortunately, I still see that all the time. Almost all of my service calls for dead machines are secondary to either power supply failure or HDD failure that comes when the owner tries to power up their machine. There's no way of knowing whether the failure occurred during the previous power down, or the actual power up, but it's one of the two. The issue of power savings is a thing of its own, and does deserve consideration. -- Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041 *Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.* ~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com