Re: Browser Help Please.

Gene

Windows Media Player has a more cconvenient interface in the XP version than in later versions for what I use it for. I use Windows Media Player to speed up spoken word material. It is much better than Winamp, using the Pace Maker plugin or the VLC player for doing this when listening at fast speeds, such as two thirds or twice normal speed. I don't know if there is anything eaquivalently good for use with computers.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 12:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Browser Help Please.

I mostly use XP for listening to music with WMP. AVG is also on that computer.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of heather albright
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 11:22 PM

Wow, your using xp! I hope it is not online, totally out dated! I like xp too but, I think the last security updates were sent out on april 8 2014.
Heather
----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 9:45 PM

I have kept all three of my computers: windows XP, windows 7 and windows 10.
Each one has something that I like better about it than the others, so I just had to keep all three.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Janet
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 5:06 PM

Hi All,
I do intend to buy a new Windows 10 laptop. I don't intend on keeping my Windows 7 when I finally get my new Windows 10 laptop for very long, maybe I might keep Windows 7 just until I get used to Windows 10, in which I am hoping that will not take very long.
Good advice from Brian and Gene though.

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 2:24 PM

But if someone is getting a separate Windows 10 machine, I disagree that you should upgrade the Windows 7 machine unless you intend to use it regularly.
If you intend to keep it as a backup machine, I think Windows 7 should be kept on it. Microsoft has had enough problems with its full upgrades recently that I want a system that is reliable and that won't be upgraded if I have to use it as a backup. Assumedly, using it as a backup would be for short periods if something goes wrong with the Windows 10 machine.

I wouldn't use it in circumstances where I have to give personal information.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 2:12 PM

Janet,

As far as I know, default app setting on Windows 7 works as it always did, and it's way less strict about checking changes when programs try to make them, which has caused enough problems that things were tightened up later.

I would strongly encourage you to do a no-cost in-place upgrade to Windows 10 at your earliest possible convenience, after having backed up your system first. These instructions apply to an in-place upgrade, too, and I mention that in the instructions themselves: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.