Re: How to make Firefox let me choose to run rather than save a download?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
save whatever file it is and run it yourself.
-
Ann, Amen, Amen, AMEN!!!

Microsoft disabled the autorun feature because of the disasters caused when it was active.  Even though security suites are supposed to scan (and do scan) executable files and zip files on download, it is always safer to download them and continue the process yourself.

Even in browsers that allow me to choose an option to run when download finishes, I never do, and that's because I've seen what can result.  I will sometimes even run a downloaded executable through a virustotal.com scan afterward, but before ever triggering it.  Those few minutes and steps can save a world of hurt.