Re: Question About Desktop

Shelly Kane

Ann:

Thanks for explaining  things to me.  I am totally blind and had no idea what the desktop looked like.  I would just arrow down and listen to the items that are there.  I will definitely do as you said and hit the right arrow key to move to the next column.  I am using Windows 10.  How do I find this PC?  I will admit, I didn't have the best training.  I don't want to get into personal things but I had a bad rehab counselor who basically thought I was retarded.  I don't like using that word but that's what he classified me as.  He wanted me in a sheltered workshop and I tried it for three days and it was degrading so I quit and put myself through college.  He wouldn't help me with that.

Shelly

On 8/29/2020 2:26 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Shelly, what operating system are you running?   It depends on what OS you're running as to where the downloads folder is. Before I explain how to find your downloads folder, which is where all programs put files unless you tell them differently, I want to explain your desktop to you.

Don't know where you got your training, but whomever it was did a poor job in this area.  Your desktop is a list view, but it is displayed in columns and rows.  Have you ever seen a bulletin board with pictures and announcements and so on placed in columns and rows on it?  There will be a picture, and below that will be the menu for the kids' lunches at school, to the right of the picture will be Martha's drawing of Spot the Dog and so on. That's what your desktop looks like.  So, if you want to see items 8-14, use your right arrow key to move to the second column of icons.  You can always use first letter navigation too, which is sometimes more efficient.

As for the downloads folder, that depends on the OS.  If it's win10, it's in 'this PC'.  If it's Win7, look in 'computer' at: c:\users\name\downloads\.

Ann P.