Re: Question About Desktop

Gene

I don't think people, even with good training are taught as well as they should be to infer form from how they move with the arrow keys. Good training will give some description of an interface, such as the Desktop is a list view with columns. But I don't recall anyone showing me how to move through the list view as I described. In other words, you can't do so from the keyboard efficiently if your intention is to look through every item unless you do what I described. there is no move to top of current column command, therefore, you go bac, to the beginning so you have a uniform starting point and right arrow to the next column you want to move down.

To use other movement following form examples, when you are using down arrow to move down a menu, you are actually moving down through items. When you press alt, then use the left and right arrow to move from one menu title to another, you are actually moving left or right from title to title, such as file, edit, etc. Of course, people take for granted that when you are moving in a document, the right arrow moves you right and the left left, etc. in the doccument. But this, in my experience, isn't consistently explained and taught else where.

From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 3:51 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question About Desktop

Gene:

Thanks for chiming in. As I said before, I didn't know the desktop was
in columns. When I listen to the items I have in there, I usually do
first letter navigation or arrow through them. I never thought to use
the home key and right arrow to navigate around. I was never taught
that in training when I was young. Thanks again.

Shelly

On 8/29/2020 3:41 PM, Gene wrote:
It’s a good idea to provide a systeematic way of doing things in such cases. To illustrate in this case, as was said, the desktop is a list view in columns. Let's say you want to move through every item on the desktop to see what is there. When on the desktop, press home to move you to the top of the list at the left, the very beginning of the list. Down arrow through all the items you can. Then press home again to move to the top of the list, right arrow once, then down arrow through all the things in the second column. Again, use home, then right arrow two times, which will place you on the third column.

When you get to the last column and are down arrowing, you will either jump back to things you heard in the previous column at some point, or if the final column is full, you will stop at the bottom and still be in that column. But the desktop, if the final column isn't full, automatically moves you into the column to the left of where you are if you down arrow past the last item in that column and you aren't at the bottom of the column, in other words, if part of that column is not yet filled.

the concept of movement following form isn't taught well, if at all, in training. In other wordss, even though you can't see if a tool bar has items from left to right or up and down, if you can't move through the items by up or down arrowing but you can move through them with the left and right arrows, those aren't just meaningless arbitrary movement options. You move as the form of what you are moving through is laid out. Knowing this helps you understand how things are laid out and may help you brealize that if you can't move one way, try another.

It may also help you understand what you are doing when you look at something using screen review, keeping in mind that movement follows form.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 3:26 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Hi all,

Shelly, what operating system are you running? It depends on what OS
you're running as to where the downloads folder is. Before I explain
how to find your downloads folder, which is where all programs put
files unless you tell them differently, I want to explain your desktop to you.

Don't know where you got your training, but whomever it was did a poor
job in this area. Your desktop is a list view, but it is displayed in
columns and rows. Have you ever seen a bulletin board with pictures
and announcements and so on placed in columns and rows on it? There
will be a picture, and below that will be the menu for the kids'
lunches at school, to the right of the picture will be Martha's drawing
of Spot the Dog and so on. That's what your desktop looks like. So,
if you want to see items 8-14, use your right arrow key to move to the
second column of icons. You can always use first letter navigation
too, which is sometimes more efficient.

As for the downloads folder, that depends on the OS. If it's win10,
it's in 'this PC'. If it's Win7, look in 'computer' at:
c:\users\name\downloads\.

Ann P.