Re: Changing Browsers

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Nancy, you're mixing apples and oranges. Your desktop is just your desktop, has absolutely nothing to do with a homepage.

Homepage refers to what web page comes up when you launch your web browser: IE, FF, Edge or Chrome. It is called a homepage because it is where the software begins. From that homepage, you can go anywhere on the web. Most web sites have a home page which is like the front door to the web site. It is where everything else starts. For example, if you go to:

http://www.portaltutoring.info

That's the homepage of my web site. All the pages in my site branch off that one page.

When you launch your web browser, if you haven't changed it, the default homepage that is displayed is usually Google. You can change this in your browser and make whatever page your home page. I have one browser I use set to display my web site's home page. I have found, though, that I like the way Chrome shows me Google as its homepage. So, I'm keeping it that way.

Ann P.

Original message:

Help! I am confused by this home page stuff. When I turn on my PC, it ends up on the DeskTop. From there I can go anywhere I want to go. Does that mean that DeskTop is my HomePage?

Please let me know, and if DeskTop is not my Homey, then please tell me how to find out what Is. I am using win10, jaws 20ish and have my PC set to look like Win7.

Many thanks for your patience and help,
Nancy
On 9/1/2020 11:52 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

It seemed to be the predominate preference, for years, to have a search engine as a home page, at least prior to the introduction of the omnibox. Now it's far less "universal" than it used to be.
There is no right or wrong home page. Whatever the user prefers is settable, and resettable at will.
I used to use my preferred search engine as my home page, but now I don't ever even use a home page, period. Between the advent of the omnibox for entering a web address or my search, and that all browsers can be set to reopen "where you left off" (which I always do), if I have to exit my browser for any reason "my browsing world" reopens exactly as I left it when I next start up again. And all of these things are user preferences, too.
The ability to configure things as you prefer them, as far as web browsers go, and even the Windows environment goes, really has never been easier. It has, however, been more comprehensive for a number of seldom-changed settings in Windows which are no longer presented to the end user.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.
~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.