Old Kindles/New Kindles

Walter Ramage

Hi to all.  This is an enquiry on behalf of a friend as I don't use a kindle.

My friend has an old Kindle, 9 years old.  She is able to download books from the kindle store and books she gets from other sources she can upload to her kindle after converting the book to the Kindle format.

She has entertained getting a new up-to-date kindle but when she told her daughter her plans her daughter discouraged her from doing so as the "newer" kindles no longer allow you to upload third party books to the device and you can only use Kindle books purchased from Amazon.

Is this true?  are there any current Kindle devices that allow the upload of third party eBooks?  If it is possible, which model is it and how simple or complicated is the process?  If anybody knows the answer to these questions I look forward to hearing from you.  Walter.