Re: using gmail and thunderbird and getting lots of spam

Troy Burnham

The only reason I even go into the spam folder in thunderbird is to make sure there's nothing there that's been misclassified as spam that should've come to my inbox. I usually go in every couple of days and delete what's there because I can sometimes get a couple of hundred spam messages a day and I'd hate to have to go through that many messages looking for legitimate messages if I let them build up any longer than that. I just wonder why this problem just started recently when I've actually been using gmail for quite a while.

Troy

On 9/16/2020 12:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
It's neither a Gmail problem nor a Thunderbird problem.

Gmail has some of the best spam filtering in the business, and it's doing with spam exactly what it should do - classifying it as such and moving those messages to the spam folder.

Gmail itself will, as Gene has noted, purge off anything in the spam folder that's older than 30 days each and every day, and that will be purged out of your spam folder under Thunderbird as well provided you're using IMAP access to your account, which has been the Gmail default access method for years now.

Neither Gmail nor Thunderbird have any ability to prevent you from getting spam nor to control the volume of spam you receive.  What they can do is filter/classify it appropriately and move it to a folder where it will not be a nuisance in daily life.

It is a good idea to check one's spam folder daily for any possible "not spam" messages that may have been classified as such incorrectly.  But I have not had Gmail do this to me for many years, and that's on multiple accounts.