Re: A puzzling behavior in an IMAP account

Gene

That's surprising and unexpected. Windows Live Mail is my preferred program and POP3 meets my needs well but its nice to be able to open Thunderbird and easily find something if I want to refer to it again in Trash. I can also check my spam folder in Thunderbird which is faster and more convenient than going to my GMail page online.

And I have convenient access to the GMail all mail mailbox.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020 1:28 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A puzzling behavior in an IMAP account

Gene,

You've nailed your problem right there. Gmail handles POP3 and IMAP, even for the same account, pretty much as though they're entirely different servers. I've never understood what the actual mechanics of this are in practice, but Gmail allows you to turn on options for both POP and IMAP access for a single account, and when they are both on, each access method works in "it's own little world." In practice it is never expected that a single account will be accessed with both protocols. If Google had been smart that radio button would allow only one of those two options to be active. And as you've now learned from direct experience, when one is, there's always a level of madness that ensues if mixed access via different clients is used.

With any given account, if you're using IMAP, use it in each and every client that accesses the account if you want things kept in sync.