Re: A puzzling behavior in an IMAP account

Gene

The reason I say its surprising is that both methods access the same server.  If I use IMAP in Thunderbird, delete all messages from the inbox of the program, then look at the GMail web interface, the inbox is empty.  But the POP3 program is downloading the same messages from somewhere.

Also, the reverse doesn't happen.  If I look at and delete mail with my POP3 account in Windows Live Mail, then open Thunderbird, no messages I've already looked at are downloaded.

Gene

On 9/17/2020 2:07 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 02:50 PM, Gene wrote:
I should add that it isn't clear to me whether this is a characteristic of GMail or of using two different protocols in general with providers.
-
The latter.  Mixed access methods invariably lead to "unexpected results."  And even using POP3 and only POP3 on multiple devices often leads to a complete mess with regard to keeping things in sync if used with the default settings, which immediately removes a message from the server after download.