Re: Giving Up on Thunderbird!

Dave

Hello Troy,

I too get some weird things happening while using JAWS, the latest
edition and update), and Thunderbird.

It doesn't happen very often, so I don't blame either program, as I can
never tell if it is Thunderbird, or JAWS that is having the problem.

Refreshing the Screen might work, I just forget what the command to
Refresh is, so I usually just press Alt-Tab and back again.

Doing this sometimes fixes the issue.  Other times it seems that either
JAWS or Thurnderbird is Dead, but I can't tell.  Was it Thunderbird that
crashed and took JAWS down with it, or is Thunderbird fine, but JAWS
just quit talking for some reason.

I do use NVDA, and in fact, I've been using NVDA more lately just
because it doesn't lose focus as often as Jaws does on my System.

I still believe JAWS reds more than NVDA, but right now, today, I seem
to be having less stress with NVDA.

When it comes to using a Screen Reader with Excel, I use NVDA most of
the time.  I just find JAWS does not track moving from Cell to Cell as
well, nor does it consistantly read Formulas and Error messages.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

Grumpy Dave

On 9/29/2020 7:23 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

I'm using jaws and not NVDA but I have had a problem lately in
thunderbird where while I'm in a message list I'll delete a message
and jaws won't respond anymore. My fix is to arrow up and back down
and this seems to fix it but it's not a permanent fix as it happens
again maybe a few days later.

Also, once in a while I'll delete a message and jaws will say blank
when I give the say line command to read the next message header, but
I know the folder I'm in isn't empty. I have to shift tab out to my
folder list and then tab back into the folder to get jaws to refocus.

It hasn't been that long that either of these things have been
happening, and to my knowledge there has been no jaws or thunderbird
updates to cause the problem.

I can live with the work-around, I only mentioned it in case somebody
else is having one or both of these problems so you can try what works
for me to see if it works for you.

Troy

On 9/29/2020 6:06 PM, Gene wrote:
I didn't include the web page from which to get the portable version.
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 6:02 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Giving Up on Thunderbird!

I don't know why you are having the problem.  Clearly, this isn't a
general
problem.  If it was, there would be a lot of discussion from others long
before now, as you say the problem has been going on for months. I've
tried
Thunderbird recently and have no such problems either with the current
version or a recent version.
It sounds to me as though something has been corrupted.  Rather than
trouble
shoot, you may want to try the portable version of the program. Or
you may
want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  I haven't
done this,
but I don't think your mail or addressbook will be lost.  I don't
know if
anything else will such as add-ons or message rules.

The portable version has significant advantages and I think switching
to it
is a very good idea.

First, you can easily try different versions.  You don't have to
install and
uninstall different versions, nothing is installed with the portable
version.  That's one of the main points of portable versions of
programs,
you can run them from anything, a thumb drive, an external hard
drive, and
on any machine you wish.

If something goes wrong with the program, you can delete the copy you
are
running, and copy a backup, which you have kept current, to the
location you
usually run the program from.

Also, if the program updates, you can still have the backup of the
current
version available.  If you don't want to use the update, you can simply
delete it and copy the backup of the old version to the location
where you
run the program from.  Set the program not to automatically update,
but to
warn you when an update becomes available and let you choose whether to
update to avoid the program you want to run as an older version from
updating when you don't want it to.  Make this change when you first
install
the program and it will be retained in future updates and in the backup
copies you make.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Rich DeSteno
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 4:59 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Giving Up on Thunderbird!

It has been many months now that the Thunderbird email program has been
very difficult to use with a screen-reading program. Prior to that, I
used Thunderbird successfully for many years.  I mostly use NVDA with
it.  For some months now, I often lose speech and the program slows down
to an agonizing crawl.  The apparent downloading of email is announced
one by one, choking off the speech you actually want to hear. At times,
I have not even been able to accomplish anything for many minutes due to
these problems.  I disabled the mail and status toolbars, but that did
not help.  Over the last day or two, it appears that the problem has
gotten even worse.  Unless someone can suggest a solution to these
problems, I am ready to give up on this program.  Thus, I would be
interested in hearing recommendations for an email program that actually
works well with screen-reading software, including NVDA. Thanks.