Re: Giving Up on Thunderbird!

Gene

You may correct me if I'm wrong on these points or disagree, but for one thing, some people are still using Outlook Express and I've never once heard of someone being hacked simply by opening a message.

Second, I really doubt that malware developers bother targeting e-mail programs with malicious code. I haven't heard about any such attacks for so long I don't recall when I may have heard of one last. The advice, as good now as it ever was, to not open attachments unless you are sure they are safe is still as good as ever. But why should developers target a number of e-mail programs with exploits that either won't work or will only work with this or that program when phishing and social engineering are so much more effective and so much cheaper and easier to do. Convincing someone to open an attachment or that they need to go to a web site to check on something they have purchased and providing a malicious link to a fraudulent web site are the kinds of things done now.

In short, without real evidence, I remain extremely skeptical that it is dangerous to run an old version of an e-mail program.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:07 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Giving Up on Thunderbird!

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Gene wrote:
I've said many times on different lists that I see no reason to update thunderbird if all people want to do is use it as an e-mail program.-
Security, plain and simple. Email clients are particularly juicy targets for nefarious actors. It never makes sense to leave an email client that has newer updates running, period. And there is not an IT professional who will ever say otherwise from the perspective of security (which is completely separate from accessibility, and accessibility is a valid consideration, but you need to think about how insecure you're willing to be with regard to programs commonly in contact with cyberspace).

No one ever proposes leaving a web browser that has newer versions un-updated, and for the very same reason.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.