Re: Giving Up on Thunderbird!

Gene

In my last message, quoted below, I should have said for screen-reader users who only use Windows, I shouldn't have specified NVDA.

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Giving Up on Thunderbird!

It is really unreasonable to lecture me about doing my homework when I spent
over half an hour looking for information before you gave a suggestion of
what to search for hours after the thread started. Now that you did, I have
done a search and I conclude that for NVDA users who only use Windows, the
threat you are alluding to is minimal. Here is a quote from one of the
articles I found:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-email-clients-are-vulnerable-to-attacks-via-mailto-links/
The research team said it tested 20 email clients for their attack scenario
and found that four clients were vulnerable. This list included:
• Evolution, the default email client for the GNOME desktop environment on
Linux (see CVE-2020-11879)
• KMail, the default email client for KDE desktop environments on Linux (see
CVE-2020-11880)
• IBM/HCL Notes on Windows (see CVE-2020-4089)
• Older versions of Thunderbird on Linux (now patched)

At times, when there is little danger, I believe it is justiffiable for
blind people to prefer reliability over having the latest program. Such a
decision should be made carefully, but there are times when it is
reasonable.