Re: verizon and TMobile offering LTE fixed wireless home internet with no data caps

enes sarıbaş

Brian,

You know what is hilarious? I don't even live in a rural area, I live in a city with 80000+ people, but AT&T  the DSL provider, and the cable company are only local options, though several new fiber buildouts began. The AT&T tech actually bragged to me how they had switched from DSL, probably ADSL1 to ADSL2+ in 2011, and how they had made absolutely no improvements to  the equipment since., and how they had put in fiber behind the box, but they had refused to   replace the DSLAM to provide VDSL service because it wasn't profitable for them to do and didn't make economical sense. Well I would say it isn't profitable and doesn't make economical sense for me to get very little quality, while paying more than that home internet, in addition to a data cap. I hope the widespread deployment of home fixed wireless will motivate those DSL companies to improve their service and replace old equipment. But at this point I wouldn't want to switch to a phone company internet, even VDSL, unles it was FTTH.

On 10/10/2020 11:48 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
As an aside, for those "of a certain age" (read: 55 or older), T-Mobile offers its unlimited 55 Plus plans at great prices as far as I'm concerned.  My partner and I ditched our land line and our woefully slow DSL service and have been using the mobile hotspot feature of our phones as our exclusive internet service for just around 2 years now.

Even where we live, we have 4G LTE data service and that's way faster than what most home users need for what they do, and in our case that absolutely includes streaming Netflix while using the computers connected to the hotspots.

There is a cap of 20GB per line, per month, at 4G LTE speed but it drops to 3G speed after that.  During this period of the pandemic, when we're home much more than we typically would be, we sometimes run over that 40GB total, but still manage just fine for our computer use and since streaming from the phone is always at high speed, and I Chromecast that to our TV, that aspect is still fine, too.

You can also buy an additional 10GB of 4G LTE data for $10 per month, but I've never needed to do that based on our actual needs.