Re: 5g and me

Monte Single

I'm using an I core 3 processor on an eight year old machine and it has no problem with websites.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: October 15, 2020 5:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

This isn't correct. Browsers, and other day to day applications even, dramatically have increased ram usage, as well as CPU power. For example, Zoom will only let you blur the background of video if you have a quad core processor. If you buy a dual core as opposed to a quad core processor for example, it will struggle at even the most basic of tasks, and in 5 years, or even in a few years, programas even screen readers will begin to lag. This happened with my core I5 4200M. I thought a dual core was ok, though this was a system gifted to me. Had I been choosing my own system then, I would've gone for an I7, and now, this dual core is not even good enough for browsing. Large websites will freeze it and even when I had it, intensive apps like finereader will lag significantly independant of ram. This is exactly I future proofed my next laptop, with a 1tb SSD, 32 gb of ram, and an r7 4800H processor from AMD, with a 4.2 GHZ boost across all cores. This should be powerful enough to run anything conceivable in the next 5 or so years, except maybe AI workloads.
On 10/15/2020 6:07 AM, Gene wrote:
I've seen others, and I believe you, too, make the future proof
argument for buying a more powerful computer than the person's
anticipated needs because it will be useful longer because you never
know when your needs will change. I've always thought such arguments
were not good ones. For one thing, a lot of people will continue to
use computers in about the same ways as now and if they do use them in
more demanding ways, those will not likely tax the computer if they
buy a computer that isn't just barely powerful enough to do what they
want.

Also, technology continues to become more powerful and cost less. So,
in five years, the projected reliable life of a computer, you will be
able to buy one to meet your needs then for less money than you are
paying now. In addition, though it’s a gamble, many computers last
more than five years, many significantly more. Every dollar you
overspend to be future proofed that you didn't need because your needs
didn't change and all the extra power of your computer remains unused
is increasingly wasted, the longer your computer lasts.

It makes much more sense to buy a computer that is powerful enough to
meet your current needs well if you don't anticipate major changes in
how you will use your computer and are reasonably confident that you
won't do things in future that will exceed the ability of the computer.

Spending one-thousand dollars to future proof a machine, just in case,
maybe you use your machine much differently in the future, when you
could spend five hundred dollars today and three hundred dollars in
fived or seven or eight years for another machine that you would
probably use in similar ways as you do now or not much, is a bad idea.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Brian,

Just for clerification, I have confirmed 5g signals do exist in my
area for my network. Even without the massive bandwidth, the lower
latency itself will probably result in better quality improvements.
Also, all versions of the IPhone by default include 5g.

On 10/14/2020 9:18 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:11 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
One reason, future proofing, I want to get the highest end version of
the IPhone 12, though 5g isn't very wiedespread now, it will be in
three years or so.- I am at a loss as to how doing this, now, squares
with your own earlier assertion, "I think 5g is more significant for
fixed wireless than smartphones."

Going to a 5G device now, when it is obscenely expensive, and where
the ability to exploit 5G is limited to a very few locations, seems to
me to be a supreme waste.

And 3 years is an eternity in the world of technology, and smartphones
in particular, and what's Apple's flagship now, will be mid-range in 3
years, and much cheaper.

Going to a 5G smartphone now, unless you live in a major metropolitan
area, is locking your money up in a frozen asset you cannot even use
for its intended purpose.