Re: Help with very unusual issue with no solution thus far
While I don't have the technical knowledge to do more than speculate, it sounds as though if you could switch to another sound card when using the program, that might solve the problem. Perhaps JAWS is a little more dependent on the sound card being used. I suspect that NVDA uses some different ways of getting some information. I remember reading a number of years ago that the JAWS developers stuck with some older ways and that has caused some problems for them, though I would think it has benefits as well.toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
From: Rick Alfaro
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Help with very unusual issue with no solution thus far
Regarding my last message, I forgot to mention that the tracking issue I referred to is totally non-existent if I use NVDA instead of JFW and the Jaws version is the latest 2020 build. I have not tried 2021 as of yet.
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 3:06 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Help with very unusual issue with no solution thus far
Will attempt to describe this issue as best I can. I’ve brought this up with JFW support but no joy there.
This is on a very fast Cyber Power gaming PC running at 3.9 GHZ with 16GB of memory. The application exhibiting the issue Clipmate from ThornSoft development. ClipMate is a clipboard manager. This app has worked flawlessly for years now but things changed when I installed a 43 inch 4k monitor to replace a smaller one I had via and HDMI port provided on my video card.
After installing the larger monitor, JFW stopped tracking the program context menus with the window in a restored state. Maximizing the window with tracking somewhat for listviews but made no difference with the context menus. This pretty much has made the program fairly useless. I’ve tried bringing down the screen resolution from 2160 to 1080p which was what my old monitor was set to but it made no difference. I also updated the video card drivers directly from the OEM’s web site again with no difference.
If anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears and will gratefully give them a try.