From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 6:53 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

Few ports won't matter with hubs available and many people may well not need more than the ports offered. Keyboards, I don't know how serious a problem that is. My lapptop, I don't know if it is in the minority, as a very nice keyboard with large keys and a nice feel. While a keyboard that is more difficult or unpleasant to use than it should be would be an annoyance, at least when used at home, and laptops these days often replace desktops, its easy enough to use a USB keyboard. If this is a problem with many laptops, it is hardly a major flaw and hardly rises to the level justifying spending hundreds of dollars more to solve unless you use the laptop portably some or much of the time and you can't find a portable keyboard that satisfies your needs. Cooling? If you are talking about laptops, the person can use a cooling pad. Not a serious problem at all.

I don't know what problems you are referring to by material design. I'll look at the page, but the objections you have discussed don't justify spending more on a machine unless you want to use the laptop while away from home and a solution to a flaw makes its use unreasonably inconvenient, something I think won't happen with most of the flaws you have discussed.
Then, too, people who live anywhere near a computer store or Walmart or Best Buy or other such stores can inspect computers in person. And there are always user reviews and reviews in computer magazines such as the best laptops for 2020 and other reviews such as the best laptops for 2020 costing under this or that amount of money. And there are lists like this, good places to ask what machines people are using and for evaluations or to ask about a specific machine or machines you are interested in.

In short, you can pick the flaw that either won't matter to you or will be easy to work around, given how you use the computer or you can try to find one without such flaws and I would think some computers without them perhaps many, if you look, can be found.

While your objection is interesting because it leads to a discussion of the ways to find a good computer, it doesn't justify spending more money for the majority of users.