Re: 5g and me

Rob Hudson

When it comes to data storage, I still choose to stick with mechanical drives. I've got twelve of them in the pool. For now anyway. When multi-terabyte SSD's come down in price, I may upgrade. Would certainly make things quieter.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 11:26:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

There are plenty of machines at the $500 and under price point that are not just adequate, but way more than just adequate, for a very great many users.

That being said, if I have the option of an SSD versus a HDD for a small upgrade fee, I will go with the SSD every time.  I just swapped out the HDD in one of my machines for an SSD and the overall boost in responsiveness - across the board, not just at booting - is as significant as you get when taking a machine with inadequate RAM and upgrading that (and that's after RAM is already upgraded).

The fact of the matter is that the "slowest" SSD is far, far faster than a mechanical spinner with read/write heads that are constantly on the move.  It is the need to spin around to catch "the next block" and move the heads for both reading and writing on a constant basis that is just so much slower than direct access with no moving parts.

I'm perfectly willing to use HDDs, still, and I'm in a minority there.  But I cannot in good conscience claim that even the very best HDD is better than an SSD when it comes to throughput speed and what that means for system responsiveness as a whole.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*