From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: October 16, 2020 9:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

The article proves my point about future proofing. It says here and there that this has been a problem but that things are changing, such as regarding battery life. Also, a battery that lasts six hours for me would be more than enough time, the day long battery capacity that is rare now among less expensive laptops wouldn't matter to me and I don't think to a lot of other people either. Display issues are irrelevant to blind users so that eliminates one source of objection.

Also, the article says something like that a solid state drive should be considered mandatory. By whom and for whom does it matter? This is arbitrary and not well supported. I think it is just plain wrong as a generalization.

Consider the following:
When I first open a program in my very reasonably fast nine year old laptop, with of course a mechanical drive, it may take perhaps three to five seconds to open the first time. Then, because of caching, when I open it again during that session, it tends to open in perhaps one or two seconds. Does having a solid state drive and having programs open in perhaps half a second really matter?

If you do a lot of things that you would benefit from, such as some sort of work that requires a lot of hard drive activity, that's one thing. For surfing, working with a word processor, e-mail, Zooming, in short, the things most people will use a computer for, an SSD doesn't matter enough to worry about.

I strongly contend that authors who make such claims suffer from the gee whiz speed compulsion of our age. If someone is going to spend half an hour working on a word processor document, does it matter if it takes five seconds to open the program? If five seconds matters in a twenty minute work session, then the person had better not take any short breaks, yawn, stretch, walk around for a minut or two to relax and loosen his/her joints, in short, the person would be a nervous wreck. So why are a few seconds considered so vital when it comes to computer use for the majority of people. I don't know the differences in cost between getting a machine with a solid state or a mechanical drive. If I can get the same machine that I want or a similar one and save fifty dollars, if that tends to be what I'll save, I'll save the fifty dollars and have a word processor open in five seconds instead of one the first time I open it during a session.

Music doesn't take less time to listen to, the player may open more quickly, an article on the Internet can't be read any faster, I don't know if the page opens faster, though I doubt it does to any meaningful extent, and so forth.