Re: 5g and me

enes sarıbaş

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate waiting for my computer to do things. Whatever I do, I expect my computer to do it very  quickly, as fast as possible. For example, I do not want to wait 5 hours to upload a 1 gb file to google drive with DSL, which is why I switched to LTE internet, which, believe it or not is actually significantly cheaper, or why I got the fastest SSD on the market.

On 10/16/2020 4:58 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
It sounds like we have different computer needs and purposes, and so we get what suits us. One does not work for all, which is why there is a variety.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

It isn't like highway racing Its like buying a 50 dollar work chair instead of a much more comfortable 500 dollar one or so, which you will sit in for 10 hours. You will curse yourself for the few hundred you didn't spend because of the annoying lags, absence of features etc that are standard on premium machines.

On 10/16/2020 6:44 AM, Gene wrote:
If you aren't an ordinary user and your comments may not apply to them
that should be specified in your comments. Also, if these defects are
so terrible, please explain the favorable reviews I found. I simply
don't believe that chincy, fall apart, or severely defective products
are generally produced. That's an excellent way to alienate a lot of
users and get a bad reputation that may taint the whole line,
including more expensive computers among users.

I can't comment on your individual experiences but at the same time,
logic dicctates, as well as the large number of favorable reviews that
can be found for machines in the six to seven hundred dollar range and
the occasional chea[per machine, that your generalizations are incorrect.

Three or four hundred dollars is a lot of money for a lot of people
and buying a thousand dollar or more machine for a lot of people is
like buying a racing car when you will be doing mostly highway driving
and neighborhood driving.

We'll see what other people have to say.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 6:11 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Gene,

I am not an ordinary user. When I purchase a computer, I will not
settle for anything less than the best. This system, while still able
to run browsers and regular websites ok, struggles and crashes freezes
when running large websites. The difference in processor technology
reached a critically dramatic point when I thhought replacing this was
a good option. Every component on my new machine should at least
provide a 100% improvement or more, even ram speeds, 1600 vs 3200.

Flaws on laptops on that price range are usually intolerable. A cheap
case will not cool properly, and will bend or warp easily. For
example, my laptop's plastic yields under the DVD drive. Cooling isn't
fixable with a cooling pad. Unfortunately with the focus on
portability cooling is taking a back seat with laptops. If fans are
too small for the thermals, or if vents are too small, that throttles down the processor.
For sighted people, the screens of such machines are terrible in
quality. And a USB keyboard adds unneeded bulk to laptops. Look at a
list of best laptops on any sight, and you won't see any machines in
your price range that make those lists. Here is an article which
describes why it makes sense to pay for a better laptop.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/dont-be-so-cheap-five-reasons-
you-should-spend-more-on-your-next-laptop/

On 10/16/2020 5:53 AM, Gene wrote:
Few ports won't matter with hubs available and many people may well
not need more than the ports offered. Keyboards, I don't know how
serious a problem that is. My lapptop, I don't know if it is in the
minority, as a very nice keyboard with large keys and a nice feel.
While a keyboard that is more difficult or unpleasant to use than it
should be would be an annoyance, at least when used at home, and
laptops these days often replace desktops, its easy enough to use a
USB keyboard. If this is a problem with many laptops, it is hardly a
major flaw and hardly rises to the level justifying spending hundreds
of dollars more to solve unless you use the laptop portably some or
much of the time and you can't find a portable keyboard that
satisfies your needs. Cooling? If you are talking about laptops,
the person can use a cooling pad. Not a serious problem at all.

I don't know what problems you are referring to by material design.
I'll look at the page, but the objections you have discussed don't
justify spending more on a machine unless you want to use the laptop
while away from home and a solution to a flaw makes its use
unreasonably inconvenient, something I think won't happen with most
of the flaws you have discussed. Then, too, people who live anywhere
near a computer store or Walmart or Best Buy or other such stores can
inspect computers in person. And there are always user reviews and
reviews in computer magazines such as the best laptops for 2020 and
other reviews such as the best laptops for 2020 costing under this or
that amount of money. And there are lists like this, good places to
ask what machines people are using and for evaluations or to ask
about a specific machine or machines you are interested in.

In short, you can pick the flaw that either won't matter to you or
will be easy to work around, given how you use the computer or you
can try to find one without such flaws and I would think some
computers without them perhaps many, if you look, can be found.

While your objection is interesting because it leads to a discussion
of the ways to find a good computer, it doesn't justify spending more
money for the majority of users.

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Gene,

Systems in that price range today have major flaws, iether few ports,
cooling, keyboard, mouse, material design. You can view notebookcheck
and similar technology sites, and read reviews for systems in
different price brackets, and all of those systems will have their
flaws mentioned. Whether these flaws matter though depends on the
flaw or person.

On 10/15/2020 9:04 PM, Gene wrote:
And so are laptops. Your information is wrong. I bought a laptop
about nine years ago, and certainly you would get more power for the
same price now, for about 480 dollars. It has worked very well. It
is not compromised. It doesn't have defects.

And no one said a 500 dollar computer is good for everyone. I'm not
talking about gamers or power users. I'm talking about the majority
of Internet users who stream, surf, use a word processor, record
audio, and do other tasks that are not particularly demanding.

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 8:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Just because you may consider a system adequate for your own needs
doesn't mean it is for is for everyone. A system like that would
have major compremises. For clerification, I am talking about laptop
prices, desktops in that price range may in fact be midrange. What I
am saying is a minimum system for anyone should have a 6 core or so
CPU, 8 gb or
16 gb of dual channel ram, an I5processor etc.

On 10/15/2020 7:08 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi list,
: enes sarıbaş thinks a 500 dollar computer/laptop is less than
adequate for the average user.
He is not the first person on the list to express such thoughts.
The one time I spent more than that for a computer was for the
first one I purchased; that was in the last millennium.
If I spent 500 u s dollars on a computer today, it would be built
with quality parts and be more than adequate for the average
computer user's needs.
: enes sarıbaş go forth and conquer, spend the big bucks.
Hopefully it will stimulate the economy.