Re: 5g and me

Lenron

I am going to have to go with the crowd that is all for the ssd. It
makes things so much faster, and it's really worth it. The start up
time is amazing. I wouldn't buy a computer with out one these days,
and if I did I would for sure upgrade it just to have one. Speaking
for ram for me 8 gb ram works on my laptop, but I for sure love
having the access to the 16 I do on my desktop. The things I do on my
desktop make that extra 8 gb needed for sure. I have been even
thinking about adding another 16 gb of ram there, but I think it will
be much more fun to put together another machine.

On 10/17/20, Norman <lists@thekingstech.com> wrote:
Hello.

I'd say both viewpoints being expressed in this thread are correct given
the perspective they are coming from.

Having people think before posting on social media would be a very good
thing. However, arguing that a slower computer might make that more
likely seems a little suspect to me given that most social media posting
is done off phones and tablets.

> But I don't think it is relevant that you can't know what it is like
to use an SSD drive

O yes it is. I would have said the same thing years ago but the
difference in over all performance is very noticeable.

> I'm saying that I wouldn't spend fifty dollars or more for something
I don't care about and that wouldn't affect, in any meaningful way, how
I use my computer.

That's your oppinion, and you have a right to that oppinion. However, my
oppinion is the exact opposite, i will and have spent an extra 50
dollars to have my ssd.

With that having been said, we all have a right to use our computers as
we see fit and spend whatever amount of money on them we want to. We
also have a right to make recommendations to others on how we would
build a computer for them or what they should get. You can make your
recommendation for the cheaper route and i can make mine for the more
expensive one. In the end it's up to the person who asked the question
as to which person's recommendations he wants to follow.

HTH.

On 10/17/2020 9:41 AM, Gene wrote:
Even if I used Windows  10, that has nothing to do with drives unless
I get a computer with a drive.  But I don't think it is relevant that
you can't know what it is like to use an SSD drive until you do I
except that if you know, you will have the experience to help base
your choice on.  If I can have that experience, without spending a
significant amount of money to have it, fine.  I don't know what the
expense is now and if it is small, then it may not matter. I'm saying
that I wouldn't spend fifty dollars or more for something I don't care
about and that wouldn't affect, in any meaningful way, how I use my
computer.

Also, in some cases, maybe a little slowness maybe an advantage.
People rush so quickly from one article or post in social media to
another that they may not have time to think properly about what they
read.  They may be so involved in rushing and reading that they get a
certain rush.  It is a cliché today, but a true one to discuss the
lessening of attention spans. Maybe having a slower computer, as I
used for awhile, gives them more time to relax and think.  I'm not
taking a pro or con position on that.  I'm simply pointing out that
the unquestioned assumption that the more speed is better should be
questioned.

Even if I had the experience of using an SSD drive, I would still use
a mechanical drive if there was a significant cost difference.  What I
do, most of the time, surfing, listening to streams, e-mail,
occasionally working on a document in a word processor, none of these
things are cases where a few seconds matter and the activity itself
takes up almost all of the time while doing it.  If someone wants the
emotional satisfaction of having an almost instant response, fine.
Most people don't know the emotional feeling of driving a race car.
That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a typical car.  They don't need
to know the feelingg to make a decision based on how they will use it.

The drive question has nothing to do with Windows version, it has to
do with speed.

Also, the reason I discuss this topic when it comes up is so that
others will see different opinions and be able to decide which
arguments they think make more sense.  Of course, the individual will
decide, but arguments and discussion may be important in some people
making a decision.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: chris judge
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 11:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 5g and me

I find it amusing that this topic pops up every so often. We kick it
around for a week or so, then it just dies out with no resolution.
Personally I have no interest in what others spend their money on. I
don't drive and never will, thus I have none of the expenses a driver
has.
Every three or four years I treat myself to a new computer, and I
usually buy a fairly powerful beast. Last year I chose an i10
processor with 16 gig of ram and a 512 sshd, as well as a 2 TB
mechanical drive for data. Did I need all that? As N adult the only
person who can, and should be answering that question is me. I would
also like to state in closing that those who still believe there is no
significant difference between a solid state drive and a mechanical
one simply doesn't know what he/she is talking about, because if you
have ever experienced the difference you would know, and while windows
10 runs find with 8 gig of ram even while running a screen reader, it
runs better with 16. I know because I have both. Gene, I find you like
to quote other sources when forming your opinion on things. Since you
are still on windows 7, don't you think it's time to join the majority
of us and update your technology experiences?

Chris Judge