Re: NVDA is improved!

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Ah Yes, I also started using NVDA a year or so after it's first release.  When was that now: maybe fifteen years ago.  I don't actually remember.  Back then, it was useful when JAWS crashed to navigate around the screen in Windows Explorer/My Computer and maybe leave a few notes in Notepad: nothing more. As time went on--particularly around 2012, it was around 75% as good as JAWS. It still had some issue with the browsers and major issue with the Microsoft Office Suite.  Slowly but surely, most of these focus and accessibility issues have been eliminated in the browsers (actually I think it works somewhat better than JAWS in the Chrome based browser.) and now, about the only thing that I use where it doesn't work as well as JAWS in some limited fashion is the Microsoft Office Suite.  If you don't have to use MS Office suite regularly, in my opinion, there is absolutely no need to purchase any other screen reader.  You might want to have another commercial version demo such as JAWS on your system for the rare instances that something might not work too well.  It's always good to stay somewhat flexible on that issue.  (My screen reader right or wrong is a bit over the top.)

In any case, hats off to the development team and all the add on developers as well for creating a truly great, free product.

On 10/17/2020 7:24 AM, Victor wrote:
I started using NVDA shortly after it’s first release. I did so because I wanted to support a free screen reader in the hopes that it would eventually be as good as jaws. Back then, I wasn’t sure that it ever would be. Thankfully, it is definitely as good as jaws and it may turn out to be better than jaws someday soon. I’m glad you’re enjoying the latest version.

Blessings,

Victor
On Oct 17, 2020, at 4:15 AM, Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email> wrote:

Hi all,

I used to have to switch to a different screen reader when I wanted to use the BARD Express program because NVDA wouldn't read the entire anotation. I also used to have to switch when doing anything having to do with lists because NVDA would continually tell me the top item in the list before it would voice the current one. This was annoying.

I find now, after the recent update, that both these problems have been resolved! I'm a happy camper and I'm using NVDA almost exclusively. Oh, and BTW, I like the way it behaves in Zoom!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring