Re: ram and SSD not detected by new laptop

enes sarıbaş

Hi Again,

Removed SSD, and each ram stick one by one,. Still the same issue. One interesting issue is that even if I power cycle the laptop,  it will spin up fans randomly on its own sometimes. I held down the power button for 30 seconds a couple times to cut power in hopes it would solve the problem, burt it does not. Looks like a service call is in order. I sincerely hope   its not a dead machine and ends up costing me.

On 10/17/2020 9:08 AM, Norman wrote:
Is this type of behavior normal though? Shouldn't the system beep or
go  to bios if it has a bad ram stick?

It may not, it depends on the system. I used to have a computer where if i would plug in a particular usb drive it just would not boot.

I assume I am not able to insert the ram incorrectly?

Correct, ram only goes in one way. If you feel along the long edge one side will have a little slot close to the center. This slot has to aline with a notch on the ram socket.

The interesting thing is that  the ram  was detected normally as a
single stick. I hope kingston will send me a replacement if it is defective.

They should. Also, try plugging both sticks in but one at a time. Based on what you've said so far I think it'll power on with one in but not the other.

HTH.

On 10/17/2020 9:55 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi,

Is this type of behavior normal though? Shouldn't the system beep or go  to bios if it has a bad ram stick? I assume I am not able to insert the ram incorrectly? The interesting thing is that  the ram  was detected normally as a single stick. I hope kingston will send me a replacement if it is defective.

On 10/17/2020 8:47 AM, Norman wrote:
Hello.

Pull one of the ram sticks and power on. If you get the same result, swap them out and do it again. I'm suspicious you have a bad ram stick.

If it still doesn't power on properly pull the ssd and try again. I assume this computer came with a ram and memory config. It might be worth restoring it to that config and then swap out the hardware piece by piece, doing the power up test after each piece to see what's bad.

On 10/17/2020 9:41 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
An update. So I swapped out the ram sticks, and both firmly inserted. The SSD also fit snugly. However when I plugged in a flash drive to install windows, and powered on the pc,  the fans spun up at max settings for a while, then stopped. When they spun up again, the logo briefly appeared, however, after I powered up the computer again, now the system will not display anything on screen. The fans spin up, then spin down periodically until I turn it off. Does anyone know of a solution for this? None of the indicators on the computer light up.
On 10/17/2020 12:57 AM, enes sarıbaş via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

So when purchasing a laptop I  opted to buy my own ram modules and SSD. However, as I was inserting the modules for the first time, I  spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the correct direction to insert them. However, when I did insert one, it firmly clicked into place. The second one only inserted backside up in the same position. The clips  latched on and hold it, but it seems to buldge a bit, and the clips didn't audibly click. When inserting the SSD, the  SSD slot was covered by a piece of plastic wrap. I unscrewed the screw, inserted into the MDOC2 slot and screwed the screw back on. However, the SSd was loose, and the plastic came loose. My question is,  what did I do wrong exactly with the SSD? And is that plastic wrap needed? I inserted it again, and it seems to be ok,  but the dirve isn't detected by bios iether. And only one of the ram modules is detected. What can I do about this? Do I pull the clips apart and press downward to seat the memory module. I assume it was inserted correctly, as it isn't possible apparently to insert ram the wrong way.