locked Re: Amazon: Am I the only one that feels this way?

Gerald Levy

Well, you are lucky that you have access to taxis and ride-hailing services.  In NYC, taxis and ride-hailing services do not serve many low-income neighborhoods.  This has been the case even before the pandemic.  And to be fair, paratransit has also been problematic.  And yes, you do have to book trips in advance.  It is just too screwed up right now to rely on.  Besides, taxis and ride-hailing services have now been relegated under city orders to delivering millions of meals every day to homebound residents who are afraid or otherwise unable to shop in person at a supermarket.  Some private car services have even shut down because they simply do not have enough customers to keep running.  And soon, public transit may become aserious problem for both blind and sighted residents alike because of huge pandemic-related defecits that will force the local transit agency to drastically reduce or even eliminate bus, subway and commuter rail service unless financial aid is forthcoming from Washington, which does not seem likely.

Gerald

On 10/19/2020 10:01 AM, chris judge wrote:
And can you call and book a ride on a whim, or do you have to plan your trips in advance. Here we have the access-a-bus, but you have to book your trips days in advance, so when I travel I use the same system my sighted counterparts use, it's called taxi, or, hopefully in the not too distant future, uber or lift.

Chris Judge

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: October 19, 2020 10:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Amazon: Am I the only one that feels this way?

But it is often inefficient and is not remotely equivalent to having your own private car and chauffeur, available to take you anywhere, any time.  If you have to wait twenty minutes or half an hour to be picked up, and twenty minutes or half an hour to be picked up to return home, that is hardly reasonable access to travel.

Where can you find help?  The law can't solve everyone's problems.  {Perhaps a local computer club would help.  Perhaps an amateur radio club would help.
Perhaps a reader would help.  All these ways are assuming you don't have a friend who could or would help.