locked Re: Amazon: Am I the only one that feels this way?

Gerald Levy

Well, your brother is lucky to have a tech savvy sibling like you who is available to help him.  Not all of us are so fortunate.

Gerald

On 10/19/2020 10:55 AM, chris judge wrote:

And if you approach something with the attitude that you won’t be able to learn it, chances are you won’t.

My brother, who is 2 years younger than me avoided the iPhone for years, until one day I slapped him upside the head, sat him down, gave him my old iPhone 6 and taught him how to use it. He loves it now and regrets waiting so long. Amusingly enough, the gesture he found the most difficult to master was the magic tap to answer and hang up phone calls.

Chris Judge

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: October 19, 2020 11:40 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Amazon: Am I the only one that feels this way?

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM, Rob Hudson wrote:

Not entirely true.

-
Yes, entirely true.   I didn't say, "It's just as easy as it ever was."  It isn't as easy for me as it was when I was in my youth, but it is mighty far from impossible.

I get that different things are more or less difficult for different people.  I also know that accessibility across the spectrum has improved, radically, over the last 30 years.

None of us get our personal choice of what hardware, software, or interfaces (physical versus virtual buttons, as but one example), are available.  And there are times when certain changes will make it more difficult for a given individual, not less so, but that cannot be escaped as a general thing with change, no matter what the direction.

To quote the Rolling Stones, "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need."  (And "getting what you want" has been awfully common in accessibiity, too, in recent years).  Sometimes, though, it's you that has to do the adjusting whether you like it or not.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.