Re: new computer

enes sarıbaş

Hi Gerald,

What makes it worse is that manufacturerers are using more layered nand flash to make drives cheaper, which reduces endurance.  Like the samsung QVO series versus the evo. But if you get a 512/1tb mlc or TLC drive, it is unlikely to be an issue. My newly purchased 970 plus for example has a rated endurance of 600 tb. And you can monitor  SSD relyability via tools like crystal disk info which display smart data. When ware leveling reaches 0%, you can replace it. I have used this 120 gb samsung for almst 5 years, and I haven't had to do this.

On 10/23/2020 5:48 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

Yes, there are advantages to an SSD.  But the dirty little secret that nobody likes to talk about is that an SSD may not last as long as an HD.  This is because its memory cells tend to wear out over time with repeated read/write cycles, which could cause an SSD to suddenly fail without prior warning. At least a mechanical HD usually provides some audible indicationof impending failure.  If you are considering an SSD, purchase a computer with an SSD of at least 256 GB that will have enough memory cells to minimize the possibility of failure.  The more memory cells an SSD has, the more vacant cells are available for storage if one of them fails, and the more reliable it is likely to be.

Gerald

On 10/22/2020 8:25 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:

Hey there, Jerry, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me BZ, grin!  You’ve got a great machine there; the only change that you might consider would be to go with a solid state drive as opposed to a mechanical hard drive as you’ll definitely get better performance, faster boot time and less energy use with a solid state drive.  That western digital certainly isn’t a bad drive and it’s awesome that you’ll have a dvd drive as well.  It’s getting harder and harder to find dvd drives in laptops anymore.  If you get a solid state drive, go with the 512 though it won’t be as big as your drive on your machine.  The prices on solid state drives are definitely coming down but they’re still more expensive than mechanical drives and don’t give you as much storage though that’s changing and will get even better.  You’ve got a great machine there, have a great day!  BZ!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry hathaway
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:31 PM
To: TechTalk <TechTalk@groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] new computer

I am looking to get a new computer and wondering if this the computer listed below will be a good computer to purchase.

Model: Lenovo M93 SFF Pro
Processor: Intel quad core I7 -4770 running at 3.4ghz and turbo boost to
3.9ghz
Ram: 8GB DDR3 PC1600
Hard drive: 2TB 7200RPM Western digital
DVD+/-rw Super multi drive
Wireless: Asus AC-68 dual band capable of 1.3ghz
USB: 8 ports - 2 front and 6 rear
4 - USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0
Dimentions: 13.3" W x 14.8" D X 4" high
Weight: 17.2 pounds