Re: Help needed regarding setting security options in Gmail

Duke

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the more direct instructions. I finally was able to access the email account using thunderbird on my windows 10 laptop. I did one thing though which is that I made sure that I signed out of all my accounts before trying to do the less secure app thing. I didn't try it yet on my other computers though.
Thank you again.
Douk

On 10/23/2020 5:24 PM, Mike B wrote:
Hi Duke,

I've rewritten the steps and these steps are more accurate.  I tested themseveral times to make sure.
Here you go:
In your Gmail account settings, have you enabled the use of less secure apps? If you were to create a new Gmail account today and tried to set the account
up in the Outlook desktop app for instance, it would be blocked until you allowed the use of less secure apps. As for the exact process, here are the steps
if you are using the basic html setting in the online Gmail interface:

1. Log into your Gmail inbox.
Note:  If you use the, Links List keystroke, Insert + F7, to find the links in steps 2,3 and 4 along with first letter navigation it'll make things go much faster.

2. Press, Insert + F7, to open the links list, press the letter, S, to find  the, settings link and press enter.

3. Press, Insert + F7, to open the links list, press the letter, G, to find  the, Google account link, and press enter.
Make sure it's the, Google Account link and not Gmail account link.

4. Press, Insert + F7, to open the links list, press the letter, S, to find  the, Security link, and press enter.

5. Press, Insert + F7, to open the links list, press the letter, L, to get to the, Less Secure App Access, link.

 6. Now down arrow to find an, On link, to toggle on the use of less secure apps, it could also be a checkbox.
Note:  I'm not sure if there's a save settings button or not, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

Finished.