Re: frustrated with edge

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:24 PM, Gene wrote:
Sites do deserve to make money from advertising.
-
Which should come from their allowing the ad to be placed, much like newspapers used to work, but not whether the ad is actually displayed/looked at, much like newspapers used to work.

No one should be obligated to look at an ad they do not wish to see before the entity distributing it is paid for the privilege of being willing to distribute it.  That's how the money should be made.  In the cyber world you have never been able to guarantee "eyes on," and that's the same as it's always been in print media (at least for those of us who are sighted and instantly recognize something as "ad" and literally ignore it with nothing more than the recognition it can be ignored).

But that's a philosophical discussion regarding what's wrong with the business model for internet advertising.  I don't think most would have objected to it, nor tried to block it, if it were innocuous text and graphics, placed on a page, much like newspapers and other periodicals used to do.  But the blinking, scrolling, flashing, inclusion of audio playing without warning, etc., etc., etc., is what gave rise to ad blocking.  And I don't feel the slightest twinge of guilt for using it.  My mental health and cognitive energies take precedence.