Re: frustrated with edge

Gene

That may be one reason why they allow some advertising.  But this page states their reasons, as they present them to the public and whatever the motivation, I consider the reasoning to be sound.  And the user can prevent all ads if desired.

https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

Gene

On 10/25/2020 12:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 01:09 PM, Gene wrote:
Even the developers of this popular ad blocker recognize the need for reciprocity.
-
You're thinking of Ad Block Plus.  And it had nothing to do with reciprocity.  They started allowing "non-intrusive" advertising through to fund themselves.  And if you don't believe me you can find tons of old discussion in the tech press and various forums about this.

It's why uBlock Origin and a couple of other ad blockers came into existence, and why Brave has strict ad blocking as its default state (and it's not the only one, either).

We will never agree on this, so this will be my last comment on the matter.  I have no issue with anyone blocking ads on their own machine as they see fit, ethical issues or otherwise.